Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Setting / editing fade times  (Read 7952 times)

May 06, 2010, 10:16:39 PM
Read 7952 times

Lufferov

I must be really stupid because I can't figure out how to edit the fade time of a cue. When I record a cue it's fade time is set to 1s, is there a way to set the fade time before it's recorded? Also when it is recorded how do I change it? I want my cue to snap.

I did read the manual but frankly it's a bit pathetic, it only has 1 page devoted to programming cues and another page for editing. But it hardly scratches the surface! I'm sure it's really easy to edit the fade times, but I've not figured it out yet.

Next on my list of how-to's... How do I have a chase as a single cue in a cue stack? For example when plotting a show I would have loads of cues that are static (or scenes), but then when a dance number starts the next cue in my stack is a chase... How do I do that? When I click the chase box all my cues become a chase!

Can I insert a cue stack inside another cue stack or something? I'm confused. Seems like fairly basic functionality that I just can't figure out here.

May 06, 2010, 10:37:34 PM
Reply #1

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
I must be really stupid because I can't figure out how to edit the fade time of a cue. When I record a cue it's fade time is set to 1s, is there a way to set the fade time before it's recorded? Also when it is recorded how do I change it? I want my cue to snap.
No, there is not. You can change the fade time in the edit-screen.
Note: When you want to edit more fade times, you can select more by dragging (like Excel) and press [Change]

I did read the manual but frankly it's a bit pathetic, it only has 1 page devoted to programming cues and another page for editing. But it hardly scratches the surface! I'm sure it's really easy to edit the fade times, but I've not figured it out yet.
Yeah, the manual is 'a bit' outdated ;) When you need to know something, you better can take a look at this forum. If you can't find the answer on your question, you can always post a new thread :)

Next on my list of how-to's... How do I have a chase as a single cue in a cue stack? For example when plotting a show I would have loads of cues that are static (or scenes), but then when a dance number starts the next cue in my stack is a chase... How do I do that? When I click the chase box all my cues become a chase!
You can make 2 cuelist: a static and a chase. When you want to switch, you have to stop the static and start the chase.

Can I insert a cue stack inside another cue stack or something? I'm confused. Seems like fairly basic functionality that I just can't figure out here.
Just for the record; you have cues, cuelists and stacks.
When you have more cues in a list, you call it a cuelist.
To trigger more cuelist a one time, you can make a stack. :)

May 06, 2010, 10:44:10 PM
Reply #2

Lufferov

You can make 2 cuelist: a static and a chase. When you want to switch, you have to stop the static and start the chase.

Just for the record; you have cues, cuelists and stacks.
When you have more cues in a list, you call it a cuelist.
To trigger more cuelist a one time, you can make a stack. :)

Huh? What's a Stack and how do I make one?

Okay here is the scenario:

Lx Q1 - Houselights out    - 10 secs
Lx Q2 - Tab warmers out  - 5 secs
Lx Q3 - Lights up (scene) - 3 secs
Lx Q5 - Chase
Lx Q6 - Restore (scene) - 3 secs

What is the process to record a chase and then have it as part of my cue list?

May 06, 2010, 11:46:23 PM
Reply #3

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl

May 07, 2010, 12:10:02 AM
Reply #4

Lufferov

That doesn't help me program my cue list as per the example as far as I can tell.

If I'm calling a show I need to have the lx op follow a set cuelist that has a single "GO" button that incorporates all cues including static states and chases in a structured order. This is a fundamental feature of ANY programmable lighting desk I've ever seen. How does Cuelux accomplish this functionality?

May 07, 2010, 12:28:25 AM
Reply #5

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
Hmm.. Now I understand what you mean.. Going to think about this.

Maybe Maarten can give a solution for this one??

May 08, 2010, 01:16:56 AM
Reply #6

Lufferov

Any help on this one? I'm still waiting to find a way of organising a Cuelist so it can include chases and static scenes. I can't see any method of doing it myself, is this feature really missing?

Seems ludicrous if so, how does anyone use this seriously to plot a show if you can't have chases! The website claims Cuelux contains exciting and new features, which is great, but you need to get the basic ones covered first.

You also claim an "Industry Standard Cuelist system"... If so how do I accomplish this very simple request? It must be possible... right? After all, this functionality couldn't be any more "Industry Standard".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:19:10 AM by Lufferov »

May 11, 2010, 10:02:54 AM
Reply #7

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl

Lx Q1 - Houselights out    - 10 secs
Lx Q2 - Tab warmers out  - 5 secs
Lx Q5 - Chase

In Cuelux you could create 4 cuelists:
CL1- Houselights out
CL2 - Tab warmers out
CL3 - Lights up (scene)
CL4 - Chase

And then 1 stacklist:
stacklist 1 - containing 5 stacks (CL1 + CL2 + CL3 + CL4 + CL3)
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

May 11, 2010, 03:44:06 PM
Reply #8

Lufferov

Eh? Are you saying that to plot a simple show that might have one or two chases I need to create every single cue as a separate cuelist? That doesn't make sense. Even in the most basic show I might have 60 lx cues, that means I have to plot 60 Cuelists and then stack them all in the right order? Can I even have that many Cuelists? Don't they need to exist on a Sub? That means I can't have more than 64 cues!

Also, because of the way programming cues works in Cuelux, I have to make sure at the start of each cuelist the faders from the previous cuelist are set to zero, or they'll be "stuck". Not only that but how utterly confusing does this become trying to stack everything in the right order and how long does it take? The answer is, it would be a nightmare and take forever. Not in the least bit practical.

What about a dance show? Each piece of music would have a different chase / tempo which I need to plot in advance so the lx op just hits the GO button between each track. How do I plot the fade times of the different steps in the chase? I know I can set 1/2 tempo, 1/4 tempo etc.. but what if the tempo is changed by mistake? It screws everything up.

I would like to see a system that is as you say "industry standard" because at the moment it's far from it. So much so I have to the question why that's even claimed on your website? The "Tempo" thing is great but should be an option. In other words when I create a chase let me choose if it takes its speed from the tempo or from a pre-set speed.

I think you need to revisit your Cuelist functionality and allow chases to be part of a Cuelist rather than a Cuelist itself. There are other things fundamentally broken with cuelists as well. For example I can't insert a cue after it's programmed without renumbering all subsequent cues, that's crazy. What ever happened to "Industry Standard" point cues? Like Lx Q3.5?

May 12, 2010, 12:50:20 PM
Reply #9

Erics

• Member of the Turn The Table DJ Team
    • Turn The Table DJ Team
I think what you want to is more a theater show. Where you have a straight plan to step through different scenes. And i would  say that cuelux ist not designed for that.
It's more a easy programm to control some Lights for Disco Lighting. You have no Features like Timeline etc. When you need something like that, i think you should be buy something different. (Like chamsy Magic Q, E:Cue, GrandMA on PC,...) That are programms that can handle such things. But they are complex on not so easy to understand. Cuelux is more for beginners.
Or you Buy a real dmx console. Perhaps something from ETC.

May 12, 2010, 01:04:27 PM
Reply #10

Lufferov

Yes, that is what I want. If Cuelux isn't designed for this that's fine, my point though is that it is advertised as having an "Industry Standard Cuelist" and quite clearly it doesn't.

I'm sure other people will buy Cuelux with this in mind and be very disappointed with what they get.

May 12, 2010, 09:21:10 PM
Reply #11

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
Yes, that is what I want. If Cuelux isn't designed for this that's fine, my point though is that it is advertised as having an "Industry Standard Cuelist" and quite clearly it doesn't.
Actually, Cuelux has an industry standard cuelist system. It has cues within cuelists, timing per cue and even tracking.

However, what you want, is either "effects" running on dimmer channels within 1 cue, or an option to create a loop within a cuelist (so, cue 1 till 4 form a chase, and keep looping until you press GO again, then cue 5 will be activated). Or making pages/snapshots and use macros for stepping through. That's how I would program your show on for example a Hog3 or GrandMA.

Those are extra features those consoles (costing USD 10000+) have.

However, in Cuelux you could consider making 1 "main" cuelist containing your cues for your show (the static ones). Then create the chases you want to use in some parts of your show as seperate cuelists (one per chase).

Now you create the "main" stacklist to run your show. Each stack either sets your main cuelist with static cues to the correct cue, or triggers one of your chases (or multiple chases) to start running.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:28:04 PM by Jeroen van der Velden »
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

May 13, 2010, 01:14:42 AM
Reply #12

Lufferov

Yes, that's exactly what I want, the ability to run effects as a single cue. I do take issue with the fact that you claim these are "extra features" though. I would say they most certainly are industry standard, I'm not aware of any programmable lighting console that doesn't offer this as a standard feature.

You could get a fairly cheap Zero88 Jester for around $600, nowhere near your quoted $10,000, which has these basic functions. You may argue that Cuelux is still cheaper, I don't deny that but you're only talking around $100 difference. But regardless, the point still remains that they are industry standard.

Like I said, if Cuelux isn't designed for that market then that's fine, but please don't pretend otherwise. On your "Features" page you make a point of comparing the Cuelist feature to that of the Wholehog, Compulite and GrandMA. It's just not true.

Don't get me wrong, the software has a lot going for it, it is easy to use has Art-net, a massive library of fixtures, great colour picker, moving head controls. That's all very promising! But please, take a fresh look at your cuelist feature or stop advertising it as industry standard (I'd prefer the former option).

September 16, 2010, 04:06:30 AM
Reply #13

TAHS

Lx Q1 - Houselights out    - 10 secs
Lx Q2 - Tab warmers out  - 5 secs
Lx Q5 - Chase

Hello Lufferov and other users,

Maybe you already find your own solution...
And otherwise... I hope other people can use this info to  ;)

Because it's possible to make one single static-cue list and one or more chase/effect-cue list !
In the static cue-list, you can program all things you need like normal...
  • Lx Q1 - Houselights out    - 10 secs
  • Lx Q2 - Tab warmers out  - 5 secs
  • Lx Q3 - Lights up (scene)  - 3 secs
  • Lx Q4 - Restore (scene)    - 3 secs
  • and all other cue's

Set this cue-list to a Play-Button/fader like normal.

Then make your chase and put this also to a play-button/fader.
(this makes it possible to change the speed/attack when you use a midi-controller)

With this two cue/chase-lists, you can make one single Stack.
This stack is your Main-Show to play all cue's and Chases.

Now you can start to program the Stack-list  ::)

Here a how to:

First set your static cue-list to cue-1 (press the Play-Button from this cue-list ones)...
Then:
Press the Stack-Button...
Then:
Press the static cue-list play-Button...
Then:
Press the Record-Button and Record this to a new play-button/fader. (this is now your Stack play-list)
Your first Stack-cue is now stored.
Then:
Press the play-Button from your static cue-list so it go's to cue-2...
Then:
Then:
Then:
Press the Record-Button and Record this to the Stack play-button/fader and you get Stack cue-2.
Then:
Press the play-Button from your static cue-list so it go's to cue-3...
Then:
Then:
Then:
Press the Record-Button and Record this to the Stack play-button/fader and you get stack cue-3.
If you get more static cue's, then follow this until you get the first Chase/effect.

The next Stack-cue is to activate a Chase and a static cue...
The static cue must be the last one before you starts the chase, for now it's static cue-4 where all lights go to 20%.
Press the play-Button from your static cue-list so it go's to cue-4...
Then:
Then:
Then:
Press the Chase Play-Button...
Then
Press the Record-Button and Record this to the Stack play-button/fader and you get stack cue-4.

This is the routine you can follow continue, until you finished your complete show.
You can at more Chase/effect-lists if you like.
In this case; Cuelux have the option you like to use and you don't have to make for each static cue a separate cue-list.
And the maximum number of cue's is endless.

Before i forgot to say:
It's easier to make a static cue-list where the "condition" stays on HALT !
Otherwise the cue-list will not stay on the cue you like to record to the Stack-list.
If there are Follow-cue's then use this option in the Stack cue-list !
A other thing...
During a chase/effect, I think it's better to use also the static cue-list to keep this always active...
If you don't use a cue from the static cue-list, then this list will be (hard)Released when you only activate a chase/effect ore a other cue-list!

I hope this info is clear enough for everybody... ::)
(I'm still a starter to)

I will test some other options with a Stack play-list...
Maybe I found a good way, to use it for the PAN and TILT positions (like the "Palette" function on a HOG II)  :D.
Only we don't have moving-lights in our basic setup  :-[
For this, I will soon open a new topic.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:38:13 AM by TAHS »
With Best Regards,
Marten

September 16, 2010, 10:40:53 AM
Reply #14

TAHS

To make it easier to see how it works...here a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hbn4IL3ayI  ;)
With Best Regards,
Marten

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk