Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: don't know if control my lights with a computer  (Read 3854 times)

June 04, 2010, 10:35:11 AM
Read 3854 times

greg

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I post this message because I'm not sure if it's a good idea to control my lights by a computer: if it crashes during a concert?

Do you have any experiences? Solutions?

Thanks
Greg

June 04, 2010, 10:44:26 AM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
hi Greg,

Computers can crash, but it hardly happens if you are just using one software program.
Lighting desks can crash too, as they use roughly the same components found inside a PC. But it doesn't happen often.
In the end it comes down to whether the lighting control software is bug free, be it running inside a console or on a computer.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

June 04, 2010, 10:46:43 AM
Reply #2

greg

Ok, but is there a backup solution? For example if the computer crashes, another DMX mixer start working.

Greg
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:01:57 AM by greg »

June 04, 2010, 11:30:35 AM
Reply #3

raystream

just use a dmx merger with your computer and an other controller connected.
you can setup most mergers to make a failover, meaning if the signal from your computer fails then the other controller takes over.

but i don't think you will use the backup console offen.
i am running moving light and led matrix shows for over 2 years now with a computer (around 100 to 150 gigs a year with a minimum of 16 moving light) and only once my computer crashed.
you have to use good hardware and use a dedicated computer for it then there are no problems at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk