Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: 3rd motherboard burned in 15 months  (Read 5347 times)

July 12, 2011, 09:02:49 PM
Read 5347 times

jabadaba

Hi Support,

I read thru most of the forum and i think i know what the problem is already but here goes:

In march of 2010 a Frontier was installed here in the bar. Me, the computer guy was called in today for the first time because the thrid computer to be used for the lighting software doesn't boot anymore. The user was able to tell me that before it didn't start at all anymore it would hang and they had to restart. Now i don't know how the system was hooked up before but in this last computer the Frontier was plugged into an unpowered usb hub. Could this be the cause of at least two fried motherboards?

(i understand and have experience with new computer technicians blaming that the pc is not working due to a broken motherboard, but if i remove the memory, there is no pre screen beeps to give an idea what the problem is. Also the fan keeps spinning at max speed and does not power down to normal speeds.)

Your quick response would be appreciated.
Regards
Onno van Cooten
Quality Computer Services N.V.
Aruba

July 13, 2011, 08:50:14 AM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
hi Onno,

Sorry to hear about the computer troubles. Under normal circumstances I would say it is impossible for a Frontier to damage the mainboard; they are only connected via USB and the USB hosts have protection mechanisms for short-circuit or high currents etc.

One thought I have for a possible cause is perhaps a groundloop, but that would need your computer and lights to be on different electricity circuits. I don't know if that's the case.

Can you tell me the serial number of the Frontier? It's located on the back of the unit.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk