Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Visualdmx is freezing  (Read 4553 times)

December 21, 2011, 02:17:32 PM
Read 4553 times

Brejner

Hello there
I have a little problem with our visualdmx with visual touch and the dupple box.
After some hours, the visual dmx just freezing, i don't know what is wrong, the visualtouch is reacting, but not the visualdmx.
It is running on a Lenovo Thinkcentre with windows XP.

Any one who has tried the same?

December 22, 2011, 09:35:01 AM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
hi,

Just to understand what part of the system is freezing: does it help to unplug the usb cable and then plug it in again? does the system then continue to work?
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

December 22, 2011, 08:07:04 PM
Reply #2

Brejner

I don't know yet, because it's on a club installation, and when we have tested it, it doesn't happen.
But at night it happens sometimes, i will say to the people on the club to unplug it and try again.

December 24, 2011, 02:57:30 PM
Reply #3

Hillmann

We have just bought a Duple interface, and sometimes the software freezes, and it actually helps to unplug and reconnect the box !  :-\

I think that the Duple interface is somehow very sensitive to noise/spikes on the power line that goes to the PC at the USB side, and the fixtures on the DMX side...

It could maybe be a ground loop ?

Isn't the Duple interface optically isolated on the DMX input and output ?

/ Hillmann

December 24, 2011, 05:12:10 PM
Reply #4

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
The Duple is optically isolated on the DMX Input, but not on the DMX Output. So if you experience problems then I would recommend inserting a optically isolated dmx splitter between the Duple and the fixtures.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

December 25, 2011, 07:53:28 PM
Reply #5

Hillmann

Okay, that really explains why the program freezes, when we use our fog machine.

Why isn't the output isolated ?  ???
Is it because of the need for an external power supply ?

/ Hillmann

December 27, 2011, 02:08:47 PM
Reply #6

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
At the time we developed the Duple we adhered strictly to the DMX-512 standard that said DMX inputs should be isolated and outputs not. Nowadays we learned to ignore that and we isolate everything (like in the CueCore).

Please try to solve the issue with a (inexpensive) opto-splitter. If that doesn't improve things then perhaps there might be something wrong the box in case we will replace the unit by a new unit. Please let me know.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

February 02, 2012, 10:22:38 PM
Reply #7

Brejner

We haven't solve the problem with a splitter, but we are about to setup a cuecore instead.

February 08, 2012, 05:32:00 PM
Reply #8

Ketsid18

Hello,

i readed youre problem and thought maybe its problem in slow pc. cause my friend is using older laptop and lights frozeing sometimes when he opens any other program.. so u can still use vdmx but need to upgrade youre pc

Greetings,
Tommy
www.tre.ee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk