Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Again: Huge Cue cable problems  (Read 4539 times)

August 26, 2012, 08:04:41 PM
Read 4539 times

hami

OMG.  ???

Yesterday I had a disco show where Cuelux didn´t respond about 5 times and nothing happened operating faders and knobs.
Each time I had to plug  the cuecable out an in because the software said that it´s not an original one. WTF?!?
Old problem: all lights turned off immediately and people as well as my customer and the DJ stared at me.
This situation is absolutely bullshit.
I hoped that it would never happen again - after you´ve send a new cable to me in march or so.

The cable is PCB version 1.2, Firmware version 1.03. The Cuelux software I am currently using is 1.03.34 on WIN 7.
Problem occured when stacks and cues working with the same lamps were operated at the same time. After the fifth crash and an argue with the customer who wanted to dismiss me I only ran one chaser without doing anything other. Absolutely embarrassing.

I know that you want people to buy the software using a dongle to prevent from unauthorized copies.
But again this faulty piece of security chrashed my show a few times and that´s absolutely a no go.

Are you able to build a cuecable working with your software that offers a stable operation or not?

What to do now?

Hopefully,

Thomas

August 27, 2012, 09:51:10 AM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
hi Thomas,

I am very sorry to hear you had this unpleasant experience.
I am trying to figure out what went wrong. When the problem occurred:

- did the software continue and you had re-plug the cable to get the system working again?
or
- did the software crash and you also had to restart the software?

Also, did you use opto-isolated splitter between the CueCable and DMX fixtures? (not always necessary, but in some cases this is required).

cheers,
Maarten
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

August 27, 2012, 01:11:30 PM
Reply #2

hami

Hi Maarten,

software didn´t crash. The software continued but nothing happened. So I had to replug the cable and immediately it worked again without restarting the software.

I didn´t use an opto-isolated splitter.

Best regards,

Thomas

August 27, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
Reply #3

Patrick

Hi,

I have the same problem.
I use an opto-isolated splitter.

Best regards,
Patrick

August 31, 2012, 03:57:50 PM
Reply #4

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
@hami

After receiving your new CueCable have you had this problem on each gig or did it only occur on the event that you described?

I am just trying to figure what happened. You have received a new cable so the chance that this cable is also faulty is very small. Everything is possible but statistically it's just a very small chance to have two defects after each other.
The other possibility is that you had a lighting-rig set-up were an optical isolator was needed. In that case, without having an isolator, electrical ground loops can crash the CPU inside the CueCable. As a consequence Cuelux will then loose communication and the DMX will stop. Re-plugging the CueCable will reset the CPU and the DMX signal will continue again.

Do you have an optical isolator/splitter you can use to test if it makes a difference?
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

August 31, 2012, 04:00:04 PM
Reply #5

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
@patrick

Please send me an email at info at visualproductions dot nl so we can see what steps we need to take to resolve your issue.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

August 31, 2012, 04:35:01 PM
Reply #6

hami

Hi Maarten,

there is no optical isolator available in my tool case.

As I had to rent a console for this weekend (Licon 1X, 98€) caused by unsolved Cuuelux problems you might send one as a gift...
Which one would be recommended???

Regarding your question:

Another job without stacks was fine before.

Other lamps were used in this project (Showtec instead of GLP).

EDIT: a powered DMX-Splitter was used there, don´t know the model but didn´t ever cause a problem before and after my Cuelux-Job.

I really look forward to your support!

Thomas
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:38:15 PM by hami »

September 17, 2012, 12:25:30 PM
Reply #7

hami

Hi Maarten,

I´ve bought an optoisolator for about 85€ and now my Cuecable is recognized as a "non Visual Productions" one. ???????

Without it I could start the show and - hooray - no crash anymore with the stack problem thanks to version 1.3.36.

In the meantime I´ve spent about 200€ for lighting desks I had to rent and for the non working isolator.

Maybe you should send a Culuex-Pro version that works on Christmas or so...

Best regards,

Thomas

September 27, 2012, 11:18:05 AM
Reply #8

hami

I´ve had the next job on tuesday and tried to use the optoisolator again.

Still the Cuecable is recognised as a non Visualproductions one.

I need help with this issue because you told me that I have to use an optoisolator - but your Cuecable is the bottleneck.

Best regards,

Thomas

September 27, 2012, 02:00:59 PM
Reply #9

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
hi Thomas,

Please PM me or send an email to info at visualproductions dot nl so we can arrange the replacement of your cable.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

October 08, 2012, 11:28:46 AM
Reply #10

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
Dear Thomas,

Thanks for sending us your CueCable and the opto-isolator. We will send you a new cable, but I want you to know that we did not find anything wrong with your CueCable; it passed all the tests.

Regarding the isolator, what you have sent me is a USB isolator. What I meant in my previous posts is a DMX isolator, such as
http://www.visualproductions.nl/products/dmx-splitter.html
or
http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1098&Category=DMX%20Solutions&txtSearch=opts

A DMX-isolator is an important piece of equipment; I recommend every lighting technician to have one in your toolbox. It is likely you will come across jobs where you need it.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk