Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Thinking about switching to CueLux...  (Read 2410 times)

November 23, 2012, 02:14:39 AM
Read 2410 times

Mutha Goose

I have been using DMXis for the last few years. I am tied to a MacBook because of it's integration with my sound system, so my choices are pretty limited. I am constantly running up against the limitations of DMXis, so I am looking to upgrade... and if I can improve my workflow and programming options, all the better. I do lights in bars and clubs for various bands. I also operate lights while playing guitar in my own band using a Midi floor controller.

I can see that CueLux would be a LOT better for when I am operating lights for other bands. I've read the manual and I can see that this would work with my workflow very well, and even improve it. But what I can't tell is if it would work for me when I have to work hands-free.

the way I work now for when I'm doing lights for my band is:
I create a "Bank" (using DMXis' phrasiology) for each song we play (each bank is a song). In each bank, I pre-program a series of scenes/chases to step through on queue. My midi floor controller is set up so that (by sending midi notes):
Button 1:  steps forward to the next scene
Button 2:  steps back to the previous scene
Button 3:  steps forward to the next bank
Button 4:  steps back to the previous bank
etc.

So, when we play a song, I step on 1 at the start of the song. Step on it again at the prechorus to advance to the next scene... you get the idea. Can I do something along this line in CueLux?

Additionally, would I be able to use sequencer MIDI track for automatic control in click-track applications? DMXis can be loaded as a VST plug-in into a sequencer. I don't work this way often, so this isn't a deal breaker, but..

Thanks

November 23, 2012, 09:32:36 AM
Reply #1

Dennis Kromhout

Hello,

Cuelux is able to trigger events using midi input.
We support quite a lot midi controllers including the FCB1010 foot controller.
If your controller isn't supported yet then we can create the midi map for you.

Unfortunately we don't have a VST plug-in for Cuelux
Dennis Kromhout

November 23, 2012, 04:24:17 PM
Reply #2

Mutha Goose

Thank you for the quick reply Dennis. And I do use the FCB1010, so hearing that you have that midi-mapped is good news. Do you have a midi-map for this like you do in the manual for midiCON et. al?

November 23, 2012, 05:24:20 PM
Reply #3

Dennis Kromhout

For the FCB to work we made a sysex file that needs to be programmed into the controller.
In combination with the pre-made midi map the functions are explained in the picture.

The midimap is an .XML file and can be modified by the end user using a text editor so if you already have a custom configuration in your FCB and want to keep it then its possible to modify the midimap.
Dennis Kromhout

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk