Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: LED PAR-64 QCL 18x8W Short  (Read 2610 times)

February 08, 2013, 07:35:23 PM
Read 2610 times

andyo

Hi, I'm having serious problems trying to get my LED PAR-64 QCL 18x8W Short lights to work with Cuelux.

I downloaded the XML file from another post (http://www.visualproductions.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2443.msg8454#msg8454)  and it worked fine on one and two lights but when I add a third to the string then I lose control over all of them and the lights start to flicker or just stay on in a solid colour. I have tested the lights in master/slave mode (i.e. without the Cuelux controller) and I can operate up to 10  lights without any issue. So it seems to me that the lights and the cables (which are all brand new) are working fine.

I reinstalled the software on a separate machine but still the same issues.

I need to run a show on Tues (Feb 12) with a dress rehearsal on Feb 10 so any help would be greatly appreciated.

February 08, 2013, 07:36:31 PM
Reply #1

andyo

Note that this is in 6 Channel mode - I have not managed to operate the lights in 4 Channel mode.

February 09, 2013, 09:05:01 AM
Reply #2

Dennis Kromhout

Hello Andy,

When Cuelux is working with 1 or 2 lights then your installation and personality files are fine.
Does the same thing happen with 3 other lights? it sounds like one of them is corrupting the DMX signal.
Dennis Kromhout

February 09, 2013, 12:57:57 PM
Reply #3

andyo

Hi Denis,

It seems to be only when I connect more than 2 lights. I thought that it might be the cables but they are brand new and when I string together the lights and run them under master/slave there is no issue which, to me, says that the DMX cable and the lights are good. Only when I connect them to the Cueluc USB/DMX cable do I get the problem with lflashing and the inability to control the lights. I've tried different combinations of lights and cables and always the same result.

Any ideas how the DMX signal is being corrupted or how I can troubleshoot furter?

February 10, 2013, 12:22:53 AM
Reply #4

andyo

One further update, I've since tried the setup with a very basic DMX controller with no issues. I've managed to control 4 lights and all respond as expected. When I replace the controller with the Cuelux software I have no control until I remove some of the lights from the chain. I will try connecting all of the lights tomorrow to the DMX controller and report back.

February 10, 2013, 11:14:35 PM
Reply #5

andyo

It looks like the issue is with the Cuelux USB/DMX cable. I have managed to set up the lights using a DMX control deck without any issues. I also tried the software from a Mac and I couldn't control even 1 fixture with that setup.DSo I think I have covered all possibilities and the only part of the process that seems to be causing the issue is the Cuelux cable.

February 12, 2013, 12:36:51 AM
Reply #6

andyo

My show starts tomorrow. Any ideas?

February 12, 2013, 09:14:35 AM
Reply #7

Dennis Kromhout

Hello Andy,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

There are a few options you could try:
1) Does it work with other type of lights?
2) Use an DMX isolator (or splitter as long as its an isolated one)

Else you should return your cable to the store/distributor for a swap.
Please include a detailed description (link to this post will do fine) with the returning cable so our technician can test the cable when it gets back to us.

Dennis Kromhout

February 12, 2013, 11:00:53 AM
Reply #8

andyo

Hi Dennis, thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately I haven't got a DMX isolator/splitter and can't get one at short notice - my show starts tonight so I have my hands full having to no plot the show with a very basic 24 channel desk.

February 12, 2013, 11:23:44 AM
Reply #9

Dennis Kromhout

I'm sorry to hear that Andy.

One more suggestion: Do you have access to an Art-Net -> DMX gateway?
When the cable is connected Cuelux is also able to send its data using Art-Net.
Dennis Kromhout

February 19, 2013, 10:39:03 AM
Reply #10

andyo

Hi Dennis,

Sorry for the late reply - I didn't have time to do anything further with the cable - our show started on Feb 12 so I needed an alternative. I rented a Behringer LC2412 from a local company and had no issues with controlling the lights so I'm pretty sure the issue is with the Cuelux cable. I would have loved to have the flexibility and control offered by your software but having basic control of the lights via manual sliders was better than no control at all.

I will return the cable to Thomann where I purchased it.

Thanks for your help
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk