Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: DMX programming  (Read 7231 times)

July 05, 2013, 10:24:34 AM
Read 7231 times

Kn00t

Hi!
Here´s a total n00b post, from a total n00b. We have a light installation running, where two different shows are triggered from an AMX panel, via DMX. The DMX commands start the show, then stop it, and then restarts, to loop.

I want to move both shows to a CueCore, instead of a flaky PC.

The triggers from the AMX panel are structured like this:

Start show 1:
·         set DMX channel 1 to level 1.
·         set DMX channel 2 to level 1.
·         set DMX channel 3 to level 1.
·         set DMX channel 4 to level 11.

Stop show 1:
·         set DMX channel 2 to level 1.
·         set DMX channel 3 to level 100.

Start show 2:
·         set DMX channel 2 to level 2.
·         set DMX channel 3 to level 1.

Stop show 2:
·         set DMX channel 2 to level 2.
·         set DMX channel 3 to level 100.

Is there an easy way to set this up in CueCore, so that my two (recorded) shows are triggered as they should?

I will pay fine dollar if anyone wants to login to my CueCore and program this remotely.

July 05, 2013, 10:52:11 AM
Reply #1

Dennis Kromhout

Hello,

We have many customers using an AMX panel in combination with a CueCore or IoCore. And what you want shouldn't be a problem at all.

Few questions first to get a better understanding of the situation:
1) Are you able to modify the programming of the AMX panel?
2) Did you manage to record the show into the CueCore already?
3) Do DMX channel 1 & 4 send from the AMX change at all?
4) Can only 1 show be active or can both be active at the same time?
Dennis Kromhout

July 06, 2013, 10:19:09 AM
Reply #2

Kn00t

Thanks for the quick reply!

Some answers, plus extra info:

There are actually more shows that must be triggered - there are static settings like "all on", "all off", "conference light" etc., all in all 7 shows.

1) The AMX programmer can still change things around if necessary
2) Have not recorded anything yet
3) Probably for the other show settings, will get full list of functionality asap
4) Only one show active at a time

July 08, 2013, 10:35:27 AM
Reply #3

Dennis Kromhout

If you have someone with experience in programming the AMX then the easiest way would be to use the "DMX -> Recoder" template.

First goto Settings and set Memories to 8 (you only have 7 shows)
Goto the Show control page and Add the "DMX -> Recoder" template
This will add all the commands so DMX channel 1 controls the intensity of Show 1, Ch 2 = Show 2 etc.
If needed you can change the Actions Trigger Value (DMX channel is this case) using the Edit button
Now goto the Recorder page to record your shows.

If you want you can make it more advanced/efficient by programming/capturing the static Cue's in the console but because you only have 7 shows and only 1 running at the same time you don need to
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:38:05 AM by Dennis Kromhout »
Dennis Kromhout

July 24, 2013, 12:21:10 PM
Reply #4

Kn00t

Hi,
Thanks for the information!

Test setup:

Sources: DMX in
Templates: DMX->Recorder
Actions: Track 1
Track 1 edit:
Recorder / Playstate / Start / 1
Recorder / Playstate / Stop / 0

I need to trigger shows, one at a time, and also the opportunity to stop show. Will the above setup do that?

What should the AMX guy send to get this running? I´m new to this world, just trying to save an installation gone south :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:22:46 PM by ljos »

July 24, 2013, 04:39:53 PM
Reply #5

Dennis Kromhout

Setting the intensity of a playback to 0 will stop it, and when above 0 it will start.
So using the (not edited) template setting DMX Ch1 to 255 would start the first show at 100% intensity.
If you want to stop #1 and start #2 for example you just set DMX Ch1 to 0 and Ch2 to 255 using the AMX
Dennis Kromhout

July 30, 2013, 12:48:18 PM
Reply #6

Kn00t

Hi
Got everything to work now, almost..
When I try to set Universe and Sub Uni for Artnet (I want to record two universes, output from my lighting software), I get red numbers. So I guess something´s wrong :)

Also: When setting up (and for future remote service), I´d like to hook up the system to an Apple Airport Express. That means running the Cuecore to an Airport Express, through to a Martin Ether2DMX artnet converter. That should work, right?

We have limited testing facilities here, so I ask all the noob questions before going on site..

July 30, 2013, 01:48:17 PM
Reply #7

Dennis Kromhout

By default the CueCore uses universe 2 & 3, the sub.uni is just another way of displaying it. Where do you see the red numbers? If it's in the CueCore's settings page then make sure the inputs & outputs are not set to the same value

While we haven't tested the Ether2DMX ourself, it should work as long as you've configured your network correctly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:34:35 PM by Dennis Kromhout »
Dennis Kromhout

July 31, 2013, 08:56:28 PM
Reply #8

Kn00t

Thanks, yes, indeed it was because of similar numbers in/out.
The lighting console I want to record output from, sends on two universes, 1 and 2.

Does that mean: 
When recording the console output, I should set CueCore input to 1 and 2
Later, when the CueCore will be standing there by itself, playing shows, I leave some random value in Artnet in, and set my CC output to Artnet Univ 1 and 2...?

We have limited testing time (and CueCore experience), but really want to put the CueCore to the test - so there will be som emore questions.

August 01, 2013, 08:56:36 AM
Reply #9

Dennis Kromhout

When recording the console output, I should set CueCore input to 1 and 2
Later, when the CueCore will be standing there by itself, playing shows, I leave some random value in Artnet in, and set my CC output to Artnet Univ 1 and 2...?
Correct, you can also use the Monitors->Art-Net to check if the universes receive the data you expect from the console

so there will be som emore questions.
No problem :)
Dennis Kromhout

September 09, 2013, 11:20:00 AM
Reply #10

Kn00t

We might be extending the installation on this project, and will need more universes.
How do I solve that?

We´ll have 4 universes Artnet, that should go through an Ether2DMX artnet/dmx router/interface.

We´d like to record a show from an external console, on to the CueCores, simultaneously. And they need to trigger simultaneously as well, naturally.

September 09, 2013, 11:46:01 AM
Reply #11

Dennis Kromhout

You can use "triggered record" for this. This is explained in the manual. Each CueCore will records its own 2 universes. If you have a free DMX channel for each 2 universes then program them to be high at all times during the show.

For playback you will need both CueCore's configured to use the same trigger witch should be easy when using DMX from the AMX.

Dennis Kromhout

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk