Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Pioneer DJM-2000 Midi Control  (Read 8255 times)

January 05, 2014, 04:12:00 PM
Read 8255 times

WE-DJs

Hi!

I want to switch from hardware dmx to software and I am searching for the right software.
I am a DJ using only some LED Lights and in future maybe some moving-heads. Nothing special, but I need live controlling and loops of chasers/shows.

I use Pioneer DJM-2000 and Rekordbox on Mac for music. Now I want to use the same equipment for the lights. Software on the same Macbook controlled by the midi touchpad and the midi-clock of the djm-2000.

As there is not many dmx-software for mac on the market I ended at Cuelux or MyDMX2. - In MyDMX2 I like the Midi-Learn, but it seems that there is no tempo sync function.

What about the Cuelux? - How can I midi map it to the djm-2000 and tempo sync it?

January 08, 2014, 09:31:33 AM
Reply #1

Dennis Kromhout

Hello,

About the midi touchpad:
While Cuelux has no midi learn function you can make or edit an existing midi map to suite your needs. We can also make a DJM-2000 midi map for you if needed.

On our main site you can download Cuelux, without the CueCable it runs in demo mode but you can use it to test if the midi clock sent by your controller is compatible with Cuelux.
Dennis Kromhout

January 08, 2014, 12:18:55 PM
Reply #2

WE-DJs

If you can make a mapping that would be nice and I would buy the dongle! - I think its very interesting for DJM-2000 users to midi-control dmx.

Here you can find the Manuals and on Page 20 and 21 (or 21 and 22) the midi-messages charts for the 4 different touchpad surfaces. http://pioneerdj.com/support/product.php?lang=en&p=DJM-2000&t=man

Beside that: Is there a german manual for midi-mapping? I don't understand the architecture of the xml files...

January 10, 2014, 11:09:50 AM
Reply #3

Dennis Kromhout

No, the .PDF's posted on the forum are the only documentation we have. It mainly lists the specific keywords.
Or do you mean the XML language itself?

I will try to make the map today, else next week.
Dennis Kromhout

January 16, 2014, 12:55:17 PM
Reply #4

Dennis Kromhout

Hello,

Could you unzip this file to /Visual Productions/Cuelux/Midimaps/User to test if the map is working on your mixer? You should be able to control the faders using Midi control type B. If I know its working then I can add more controls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:06:36 AM by Dennis Kromhout »
Dennis Kromhout

January 29, 2014, 02:45:10 PM
Reply #5

WE-DJs

Hi Dennis,

thanks for your support. I can't try the xml because there is no folder to put it in.

I use Mac OS-X 10.7.5 and your cuelux.dmg file does not install cuelux on the hd. It creates a "device" where I find the cuelux programm and I can open it. Thats all, no istall directory and no folder for the user xml.

The Midi-Clock of the DJM-2000 works in Cuelux.

Thanks, Gerd
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:48:46 PM by WE-DJs »

January 31, 2014, 04:17:40 PM
Reply #6

Dennis Kromhout

Hello Gerd,

When opening the .DMG you can run Cuelux or drag & drop it to the Applications to install it.
After running Cuelux (from Applications or .DMG) it will create a directory structure in your user folder.
This is the location for the .XML file
Dennis Kromhout

January 31, 2014, 04:41:47 PM
Reply #7

WE-DJs

Yeah! - The faders and the midi-clock are working.

Sorry, I'm new with Mac.

I will now buy the dongle. Would be nice to get a complete mapping soon.

Thanks, Gerd

February 05, 2014, 11:08:33 AM
Reply #8

Dennis Kromhout

Hello Gerd,

I've updated the file above.
Type A allows you to control the playback buttons
Type B control Faders (not changed)
Type D the globals (fog, strobe & blind)
Dennis Kromhout

February 06, 2014, 12:24:19 AM
Reply #9

WE-DJs

Hi Dennis,

the mapping does not suit my needs and does not work like you discribed. - But thanks for your support.

Now I will try to do my own mapping, but I'm very confused about the xlm files.

Questions:
1. Which software do you prefer for editing the xml files?
2. Should I start with a generic midi and edit it or should I start with a blank sheet?
3. The Pioneer midi-chart shows MSB values. - After hard searching the internet I found a table to translate into Notes. It seems that Cuelux needs the CC Number. -> Next translation... I found totaly different tables to translate Notes into CC. After checking it in Traktor with "midi-learn" I found the right table. - Is it possible to use the notes in cuelux or the msb so I dont't need to translate?
4. If I change the midi-channel from "X" to the right channel the mapping does not work anymore. As I want to use Cuelux with different Midi-Controllers I need to use a free channel.

I like your software and thanks for your support, but with midi-learn or a midi-programming tool (like in Traktor) the users would be able to do their own mappings and you will have less work... - I think midi-learn is standard today for midi-based software.

February 06, 2014, 09:52:52 AM
Reply #10

Dennis Kromhout

What part is not working? Keep in mind this mixer uses toggle buttons. This is quite common for devices where midi control is not its main purpose. Momentary switches are preferred

1) You can use any text editor you like, On windows I usually use Notepad++
2) You can use the generic midimap or the one posted in this thread as a template to suite your needs
3) The values are hexadecimal, the midimap use decimal values. Use any Calculator program to convert, there are many hexadecimal converter sites you can use to
4) Channels are zero based, try by subtracting 1

Cuelux was designed to be as simple as possible for most users. Only very few actually make changes to the midimaps.
Dennis Kromhout

February 09, 2014, 03:07:27 PM
Reply #11

WE-DJs

Hey Dennis.

You are right, the channel is -1.
The Stop Button does not work. If I hit the "stop" button when the playback is not running it starts. - So it acts like the "go" button.

I'm a little confused about the tasks in the XML:
Your mapping manual shows "task feature" and than "buttonsecundair" for "go"...

In the pioneer mapping you wrote its called "play state" and than in the argument "go"...

What means toggle?

Regards, Gerd

February 11, 2014, 10:00:25 AM
Reply #12

Dennis Kromhout

Toggle means that if you press a button the first time it will be "On", next time you press it it will be "Off".
Momentary switches are only "On" while you keep pressing it, this can be used by Cuelux to detect how long you pressed a button. For example "buttonsecundair" acts as a Go+ when pressed short, Release when pressed for longer period.

But this is not possible (or very poorly) when a controller has toggle buttons, this is why it used the Playstate feature.
Dennis Kromhout

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk