Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Two MIDI Controllers Tutorial (for my setup)  (Read 2625 times)

November 10, 2014, 10:20:22 PM
Read 2625 times

erniberni

hey there everyone,

as I registred it some of you got trouble, to run two MIDI Controllers at once.
I just want to share as I spent about 2 day till I got it to work.like I wanted it
My setup:
                - Touch Laptop (i3 4th gen.,8GB RAM, win8.1)
                - a BCF 2000 as Fader extension
                - Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8inch (connected over WIFI and Touch OSC)
                - DLink DIR xxx  Router (cheap one about 20 €)

Notice that this tutorial is for my setup and you have to make some changes if you want another configuration and/or use different equipment. The only real difficult thing is to combine both MIDImaps.

1) Install TouchOSC to your Tab or Phone and get djfrankees Files for TouchOSC of the board with the corresponding MIDImap. Load the Layout made by him to your device and store the midimap somewhere on your PC. Also download and install the OSC Bridge. You can get it of the Touch OSC developer site.

2) Create a sys-ex file for your BCF as you need it, you can use the Behringer BC-Edit prog. that you can get on the official Behringer website. You can disable the preset and rotary encoder groups as you want (I only left 2 encoder groups for a fast change from attack to speed and back). My BCF is quite standard to the included MIDImap in Cuelux, except I made real Flash buttons of the toggled one (if you lift the finger the flash will be off), the others are GO, and as I metioned above I turned off preset changing in the bcf (I always hit them with my fingers and change the preset without getting a notice of it), I turned off 2 of the encoder groups so I can use them otherwise. The whole right side consists of Flash or go buttons for a bank I reserved for the BCF in Cuelux (Home of MH, Flash FX, Blinder Chase etc.).IMPORTANT: As Behringer has a shitty support team the BCEdit prog never was finalized.Means: It is impossible to dump your Sys-Ex back to your BCF, you need another software  for this (MIDI-OX for example)  
3) Download and install MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke, go to your Systemsetting tab and change MIDI Yoke setting to 2 Ports (you don't need to do so but you'll have a greater overview later)
4) NOW it becomes critical: Open both the Midimap of BCF and TouchOSC (I use Scriptly as Editor). Create a new XML file, and paste the OSC file into it. Go to the BCF map and copy only the parameters of actionlist=“control“ from it. Look for the end of the control actionlist in your new file and paste the stuff after it but before </actionlist>
5) Do the same for the feedback actionlist of the BCF and save your new generated midimap to your midimap/user folder of cuelux. I don't know if it is same on other systems but on Win 8.1 you have a Cuelux folder in your User/Document folder, if so, paste in this  folder.
6) At the very top you can Change the name that is displayed in Cuelux settings, so you can find the map more easily later. As the right side of BCF isn't mapped completly you can add missing buttons corresponding to your sysex generated in BC-edit prog. In the control actionlist
7) Open MIDIOX, go to the send sys ex dialog (BCF connected) and dump your sysex to your BCF (BCF display is „rotating“  while dump, if not theres a connection issue, try it with SendSX, maybe you'll have to restart the system a couple of times till it works or I just have wrecked the soft of my computer, but it works). When finished save the config on the BCF.
8) Close MIDIOX (maybe restart system). Connect everything (Router, etc.), Start OSC Bridge, open MIDIOX again, open your device setting and choose the devices for input and output as well as one MIDI yoke port ech for in and out
9) Go to View-> Port Routung and clear everything inside the window. Connect now the BCF and the OSC input to the MIDI yoke output port. Connect the MIDI yoke input port to the BCF and OSC output port. Close the Window and save this settings for later use.
10) Now there should be a signal from both devices if you do something
11) Open Cuelux go to the MIDI Setting and choose the MIDI Yoke ports for in and out and your custom MIDI map.
12) Now youve got it

Sorry for my bad English. If you have questions, ask (also in German). But nothing like: Where I get this and that, Touch OSC is a paid app on the App Stores, the files I mentioned, you can get  in the forum or simply by google. I wrote this on the fly and will do a workaround as soon as I got time and add a few pictures. If somebody knows how to make atachments here and will tell me I can add my config / map files also.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:19:17 PM by erniberni »
I5 Quadcore, 16GB RAM, Win 10, BCF2000 Launchpad aaaaand Cuelux -------> BIG Show

November 11, 2014, 10:31:08 AM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
Thanks a lot for sharing this info.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

November 26, 2014, 07:07:23 AM
Reply #2

mialer2546

• LED Controller Card