Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Is this possible? Analog sensor triggering Cues in Quadcore, via IOcore  (Read 1719 times)

October 13, 2016, 05:10:36 PM
Read 1719 times

Kn00t

Trying to figure out if I can have (multiple) analogue sensors, via IoCore GPI, trigger Cues in QuadCore based on steps, from 0-10 volts.
I have 6 sensors, and would like them to work in one Playback each.
Seems QuadCore can only Jump to Cue by assigning each cue one channel. While IoCore, as far as I can see, will only convert GPI voltage levels  to DMX levels 0-255.
Or am I wrong?
See attachments.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:47:43 PM by ljos »

October 13, 2016, 11:09:43 PM
Reply #1

Maarten Donath

Hi ljos,

I think we can do it! Let's see:

IoCore:
The IoCore can read 0-10V signals when GPI inputs are set to analog on the SETTINGS page. Now in SHOW CONTROL you can add an Action List with GPI as Source. Add an Action and edit this action. If you now select the Trigger Type drop-down menu, you'll see the IoCore can even distinguish a value increase/decrease every 20%. In other words, a varying voltage can generate up to 5  steps with a Task performed upon each step (or: voltage range). Remember you can 'calibrate' an incoming GPI signal so the IoCore will see that the maximum incoming voltage is not 10V but for example 8,9V, a voltage  drop  due to longer cable length. This way the IoCore will interpret the 8,9V as 100%. Now program each Task to send a unique OSC or UDP message across the network that will trigger your QuadCore that is connected to the same network. Hint: your GPI Action List will count a total of 6 Playbacks times 5 voltage values is 30 Actions.

Quadcore:
Now in order to have a QuadCore responding to the varying voltage (by the IoCore divided in 5 steps and, as a result, sending 5 OSC or UDP messages), here you need to set up the OSC (or UDP) Action List on the SHOW CONTROL page. Add an Action and Edit the Trigger, this should be the incoming OSC message. You can either enter this manually or use the 'Learn' button. Program a task with each OSC message: select Task Type 'Playback', select Feature "Transport' and select Function. This can be Jump or Go+, depending on your system. Now set Parameter 1 and 2 to the desired Playback and Cue.

Remember to set all network parameters correctly, otherwise the OSC communication will not work!
Done. Good luck!
Maarten Donath
Visual Productions BV

October 14, 2016, 12:44:36 PM
Reply #2

Kn00t

Hi Maarten, thanks a lot! Great write-up.

Our setup is using wireless DMX for connecting IoCore and QuadCore. We can buy some new stuff and UDP, but if we go with DMX, do we choose SET VALUE with parameter 1 (channel) and parameter 2 @ 255?
Like this: http://haarlem.visualproductions.nl:81/action.html

The GPI calibration function is genius!

Thanks for creating awesome equipment. I just installed a QuadCore to control this thing here: http://www.ljos.no/work/vakten/
(The CueCore in the picture is just for testing)

October 14, 2016, 03:23:41 PM
Reply #3

Maarten Donath

It works the same way ljos,

In IoCore, convert the 1-10V signal (set port to analog!) into DMX and specify a channel and value in each of the 5 voltage ranges. Now in QuadCore, select DMX as source (don't forget to switch a DMX port to input) and have the QuadCore look at the trigger value (for example B.1). Once this DMX signal appears have the QuadCore's transport jump or go+ to a specific Track/Cue in the desired Playback!

Take care!
Maarten Donath
Visual Productions BV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk