Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: midi map Akai APC40 MK2  (Read 6210 times)

April 18, 2017, 03:48:02 PM
Reply #15

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Tried to map the APC 40 MK2 numbered button to start the fader playback.

If I follow the manual the xml command should look like this:

<action label="Playback Fader 08 Playstate On">
 <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 7 - Message 9 - Index 50</trigger>
<tasks>
 <task type="Playback Fader 8" feature="ButtonSecudair" function="Control"/>
 </tasks>
 </action>

However it does not start the playback:

Why is that?
What am I doing wrong?

Also stopping the playback does not work with the feature "ButtonQuadruple", strange enough it stops when  I press the button twice rappidly.
What is going on?

Hope you can help me out.

With kind regards,
Robert Versmoren

April 19, 2017, 08:49:38 AM
Reply #16

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
the rigger type needs to be "message" and not "midi"...
Hope it will help ;)
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

April 19, 2017, 01:09:04 PM
Reply #17

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Oke I have come a long way with mapping the Akai APC 40 MK2, but still having some issues,
Hope I can adress them here.

1) There are to rotary knobs on the APC40 MK2 which behave different then the others. They are Tempo and Cue Level. They both change the value of data2 to either 1 or 127 depending on the direction I turn the knob. The other rotary knobs increment or decrement the data2 value.
Therefore cuelux sets either the minimum or maximum value for example the tempo of cuelux.

2) To start a playback of a fader i have to create a task with  the feature "Play state" and function "Set". I thought it should be buttonsecundair, but that does not work. The feature "Play State" cannot be found in the manual. I got it of the XML file for the APC 40.
Why? does it affect question 3?

3) If I map a ButtonQuadruple to release the playback of a fader, I need to press the button 2 times in order to make it stop the playback. That is strange, best would be just to press it once.
Does it have something to do with question 2.

4) If I map feadback for the playstate of a fader to the same button as I use for stopping the playstate, then I have to press the button 3 times in order to make it stop.
Can you explain to me why that is?

5) If I map "Clear Programmer" I have to press the button 2 times in order to make it clear the programmer.
Why is that, can it somehow work with just 1 press of the button.

6) I mapped the scene launch buttons to the stack, release, record, load and delete buttons within cuelux. When pressing the buttons on the APC40 MK2 the buttons do not light up. When I press the buttons within cuelux, the buttons on the APC40 MK2 do light up.
Cann you help me to fix this?

7) When I assigned a group to a button direct play the lights of the APC40 MK2 button do not work. When I assing a cuelist or chase to the button the lights on the APC40 Mk2 do work.
Is it possible to have the button light up too?

8 ) When assigned a cuelist of chase to a button direct play, and I stop the playback from within quelux the button on the APC 40 MK2 turn white instead of turning of the lights..
Any idea to get this fixed?

9) Feedback of quelux "programmer active" does not seem to work

10) Feedback of quelux "Load Active" does not exist?

11) Feeback of quelux: It would be nice if the active "programmer page" can have its own feedback, so I can light up the corresponding buttons.

12) Feedback of quelux: It would be nice if the programmer wheels (how many are there) could have their own feedback. That way there would be no difference between the actual value and the position of the knob. Now it keeps jumping back to 0.

13) Is there a way to create layers? Something like the Behringer BCF-2000 So you can assign different actions to the same knob? Kind of like a "If This Then That " Statement.

14) In the XML file of Behringer I found the Function "Speed Reset" and "Attack Reset", I tried to add it to the mapping for the APC40 Mk2 but it does not work. I also cannot find this function in the manual.
Does it exist?

15) Is there a way that I can define the color of the buttons for myself? The APC has RGB leds under the buttons, so you could create different colors.

I know a lot of questions, but I got so far with mapping the controller that it would be a pitty if I had to leave these little points as they are.
I they could be fixed the APC 40 Mk2 would be awesome for the job.

With kind regards,
Robert Versmoren
Soundstar Drive In Show

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:31:46 PM by Soundstar »

April 19, 2017, 01:31:14 PM
Reply #18

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Tried to set the trigger type to "Message" but it does not work.

Strange enough when I leave it to midi, like I have everthing mapped and as the manual states. I have to press the button twice in order for cuelux to execute the command.
The "Play State" "Set" Command does work.

But this command is nowhere to be found in the manual....

With kind regards,
Robert Versmoren

April 19, 2017, 03:29:45 PM
Reply #19

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
can you show me your midimap file this way i will be able to check it directly... it will be easier for me.
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

April 24, 2017, 08:02:50 PM
Reply #20

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Yes I can, see attachment.

With kind regards,
Robert Versmoren
Soundstar Drive In Show

April 26, 2017, 10:55:21 AM
Reply #21

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
Ok i spent some time looking at your problems, your midimap and looking on internet how the apc40mk2 was working

1) There are to rotary knobs on the APC40 MK2 which behave different then the others. They are Tempo and Cue Level. They both change the value of data2 to either 1 or 127 depending on the direction I turn the knob. The other rotary knobs increment or decrement the data2 value.
Therefore cuelux sets either the minimum or maximum value for example the tempo of cuelux.

This is linked to the way the apc40 is programmed, On some midicontrollers you can edit a sysex file and change the way each button react ( like on bcf2000) but i did not find anyway to do that on apc40 mk2.

2) To start a playback of a fader i have to create a task with  the feature "Play state" and function "Set". I thought it should be buttonsecundair, but that does not work. The feature "Play State" cannot be found in the manual. I got it of the XML file for the APC 40.
Why? does it affect question 3?

Set function is listed in the pdf i sent you, now the "control" button" secundair should work. I only have an apc midi to test and it's working fine... I think it's mainly coming from the way the apc40 send the informations...

3) If I map a ButtonQuadruple to release the playback of a fader, I need to press the button 2 times in order to make it stop the playback. That is strange, best would be just to press it once.
Does it have something to do with question 2.

Still the same problem, it's linked to the way the apc40 send midi messages to cuelux. In this case i think the apc40 button is working as a toggle button when you would like it to work as a flash... so it's still linked to the way apc40 is programmed!
4) If I map feadback for the playstate of a fader to the same button as I use for stopping the playstate, then I have to press the button 3 times in order to make it stop.
Can you explain to me why that is?

I am sorry but i don not have explanations for that, the feedback should not affect the way the controller is sending datas to cuelux...

5) If I map "Clear Programmer" I have to press the button 2 times in order to make it clear the programmer.
Why is that, can it somehow work with just 1 press of the button.

In cuelux when more than one fixture is selected and using programmer you always have to click twice the clear button, first time it clear programmer for the selected device, and second times for all other devices.

6) I mapped the scene launch buttons to the stack, release, record, load and delete buttons within cuelux. When pressing the buttons on the APC40 MK2 the buttons do not light up. When I press the buttons within cuelux, the buttons on the APC40 MK2 do light up.
Cann you help me to fix this?

HUm this is a strange behaviour... I do not see any explanations for this.

7) When I assigned a group to a button direct play the lights of the APC40 MK2 button do not work. When I assing a cuelist or chase to the button the lights on the APC40 Mk2 do work.
Is it possible to have the button light up too?

This is because Cuelux can only control RGY colors on the led feedback ( the colors control are coming from the forst apc40 where there were no blue). This would need to be updated in cuelux by the dev team.

8 ) When assigned a cuelist of chase to a button direct play, and I stop the playback from within quelux the button on the APC 40 MK2 turn white instead of turning of the lights..
Any idea to get this fixed?

I think it's a communication problem, maybe from cuelux or from apc40 i cannot help you more without having apc40 mk2...

9) Feedback of quelux "programmer active" does not seem to work
For sure the feedback works as it's used with other midicontrollers, but i think the apc40 do not manage it.

10) Feedback of quelux "Load Active" does not exist?

If it's not in the api list, it means it should  be implemented.

11) Feeback of quelux: It would be nice if the active "programmer page" can have its own feedback, so I can light up the corresponding buttons.
this is available in cuelux pro but not in cuelux, sorry.

12) Feedback of quelux: It would be nice if the programmer wheels (how many are there) could have their own feedback. That way there would be no difference between the actual value and the position of the knob. Now it keeps jumping back to 0.
Maybe to solve this you may use the "encoder" key word like this:
<task type="Special" feature="Programmer Wheel 1" function ="Decrement"/>
<task type="Special" feature="Programmer Wheel 1" function ="Increment"/>

13) Is there a way to create layers? Something like the Behringer BCF-2000 So you can assign different actions to the same knob? Kind of like a "If This Then That " Statement.
The layers are created on the midicontroller side, and there is a kind of layers on apc 40 mk2 as i've seen on this page:
http://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11655

14) In the XML file of Behringer I found the Function "Speed Reset" and "Attack Reset", I tried to add it to the mapping for the APC40 Mk2 but it does not work. I also cannot find this function in the manual.
Does it exist?

yes it exists and works fine with bcf and others midi controllers, I don't see why it should not work with apc40 mk2.

15) Is there a way that I can define the color of the buttons for myself? The APC has RGB leds under the buttons, so you could create different colors.

I am sorry but this is not possible, the colors controls are implemented directly in cuelux.

So i am sorry, it seems i cannot really help you with all those problems. It seems most of them are mainly coming from the way the apc40 mk2 is acting that is not really fully compatible with cuelux. For a full interaction you would need to be able to edit how each button react, but i don't know if it's possible.
Few of those troubles are coming from cuelux itself where the midi interactions are not 100% complete, i will contact the dev team to notice them , but i cannot make any promises about how it will evolve!
I am sorry i cannot help you more.
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk