Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: midi map Akai APC40 MK2  (Read 6223 times)

January 10, 2017, 08:04:50 AM
Read 6223 times

Soundstar

Hello,

Tried to find something about a midi mapping file for the Akai APC40 MK2, just found one forum message from over a year ago.
Is there a new midi mapping file, or how can I create one myself?

The documents like the general midi setting seems to be corrupt, as i tried to download it form this forum.

Any help?
With kind regards,
Robert

January 11, 2017, 09:14:11 AM
Reply #1

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
we are sorry, creating midimap for this controller is still on our todo list but for now we first work on finalising stables softwares. If you cannot wait for the release of the midimap you can make it by yourself using this document and also the generic midimap included in cuelux and use the akai midimap as the apc40 and apcmidi get some commun parts with this new one.
http://www.visualproductions.nl/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5233.0;attach=1785
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

January 16, 2017, 06:52:47 PM
Reply #2

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Thank you for your response, this time I can download general midi setting.
To be honest, I have no clue what all that means whats in that document?
I found the generic.xml when I opened it, it was all rubish.

i can not find the apc40 and apcmini midimap, where can i find them?

I am no programmer and I do not know what to do with this, is there any explanation or tutorial available on how to midi map your controller?

With kind regards,
Robert

January 17, 2017, 02:38:54 PM
Reply #3

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
i will try to give you some keys i hope it will be able to help you!
SO first, to find the akai midi controllers, you need to open the akai.xml file, the generic file is just here as an example of all the functions.
So you need to take your akai.xml file from documents/visualproductions/cuelux/midimaps/factory and then copy it to the user folder. This way when you will upadte cuelux you will be able to keep your custom midimap as all the files in the factory folder will updated.
Now to edit the xml file you need a text editor, the best is notepad++ that will light up the key words in the file! Much easier to work!
now in the file, each midicontroller in set beewen tags :
<midimap label="xxxx">
</midimap>
then inside you will find for exemple
<action label="Action 01">
       <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 9 - Index 56</trigger>
       <tasks>
       <task type="Playback Direct Button 01" function="Control" feature="ButtonSecundair" />
    </tasks>
</action>
so each action is an actionner from you midicontroller, to say cuelux what you cant to do when for exemple you move one fader you need to say what is the "addresse" of your midi fader and then what cuelux needs to do when it receives this information:
so i n the previous block, the trigger line is what the midicontroller send and the task is what cuelux needs to do.
To let you know the address of each actioner of your midi controller you need to use a midi sniffer that will show you all the midi informations the midi controller is sending, for exemple you can use midiox for windows or even use cuelux pro ( without hardware) and see in the monitor all the midi messages going thrue..
For the task line you can take the midiapi document i sent you previously to select with function of cuelux you want to control.
I hope this will help you a bite,

Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

January 27, 2017, 08:33:42 AM
Reply #4

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Thanks for the explanation, i will try to figure it out.
Is there a document of something from the apc40 mk2 which states what function is triggered internally? I noticed that not everything is always working the samen way.

Just wondering if it is possible, maybe you can tell me.
If i'm correct the buttons of the apc4o mk2 can display all the colours you want. Is it somehow possible to create a button combination that will display all the colours from the color picker on the buttons, so you can easily select the color you want?

With kind regards,
Robert

January 27, 2017, 03:06:22 PM
Reply #5

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
i am sorry but we do not have this kind of document, i think your request should be more on the akai side, as they are the manufacturer of the midi controller.
ABout the button color, the thing is that akai use a special "akai" function to control the button color, the dev team implemented only a few colors into the cuelux software so you will only be able to get red, green and yellow and no custom colors.
Sorry,  :-[
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

March 21, 2017, 08:23:39 PM
Reply #6

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Did not have much time lately to dive into this so restarting again.

Is there a midi map file for the apc 40 mk2 now?

Somehow i'm still confused about how to map everything.
I used midiox to monitor what he midi controller sends, but it does not correspond with the messages that are in the existing xml mappings.
According to your explanation of the xml file it should look like this:
 <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 9 - Index 56</trigger>

But from midiox i get this::
Status, Data1, Data2, Channel, Note, Event
90, 20, 7F, 1, G# 1, Note On

What does "message 9" and "index 56" mean? how do i figure out what it is supposed to be?

So many more questions.. so really confused by all of this....

Regards,
Robert

March 22, 2017, 02:45:44 PM
Reply #7

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
So the first thing is that you need midi ox in decimal mode instead of hexadecimal! You can do that from options/ Data Display.
Then you can see that:
967  2  --    144    56   127    1  G# 3 Note On

So for channel you can set "X" it means it doesn't care about the chanel., "message 9" means it's "note on" for control change you can use "message 11".
ANd you can find the index just before the "127" value...
I hope it will help you ;)
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

April 14, 2017, 02:30:14 PM
Reply #8

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

Thanks for the reply, will try to figure it out.

I noticed something else, that is strange to me.
When hitting the play button on the apc40 mk2 it sends a "note on" message, immediately followed by a "note off" message.
So if I want to go through cues it takes stepts of 2 instead of 1 step.

Also the trigger button, trigger on and emmediatly of, so nothing happens.

Just read on a forum it might have something to do with the mode the apc 40 mk2 is running in, and that I might have to change that.

Can you help me on this one?

With kind regards,
Robert

April 14, 2017, 03:39:40 PM
Reply #9

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
for your on/off problem you just need to change the "specifier" instead of "change" ( cuelux reacts each time status change) you can set it as "up" or as "down" this way it will react only once, when you will push or release the button.
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

April 14, 2017, 05:18:21 PM
Reply #10

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

thankx, that fixed the problem.

Another question wich might help me understand the rest too.

On the APC 40 MK2 there is a rotary knob assigned for tempo, I want to map that knob to the tempo controll of Cuelux.:

Midiox gives me these results:
TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT           
3603               1     --         176         13          1           1         ---       Control Change  (turn to the right)
7758               1      --        176         13        127         1         ---       Control Change   (turn to the left)

So I added an action:
label: rotary BPM Set
Type: Midi
Specifier: change
#text: channel 1 - Message 11 - Index 13

With Task:
Type: Tempo
Function: Control
Feature: "empty"

But it does not work.
What to do?

With kind regards,
Robert

April 18, 2017, 08:28:08 AM
Reply #11

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
your block shoud looks like that:
<action>
<trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel X - Message 11 - Index 13</trigger>
<tasks>
<task type="Special" feature="Tempo" function ="Control"/>
</tasks>
</action>

I think you are missing the "type="special" part. ;)
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

April 18, 2017, 08:52:35 AM
Reply #12

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

I have been working on this over the weekend,
If I you what you suggest, then the value of the BPM jumps to either 3 or 300 depending on wich direction the knob is turned.

If I use the function "increment" the tempo will only go up and not down. the same for the function "decrement"
It probably has something to do with the "data2" value I read in midiox. The data2 is either 1 or 127, depending on the direction I turn the knob.

Any suggestion on how to incorporate the "data2" value?

With kind regards,
Robert Versmoren

April 18, 2017, 01:56:45 PM
Reply #13

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
I am sorry but i do not have any midi controller to make some tests...
Did you try the "encoder" key word?
Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

April 18, 2017, 02:26:17 PM
Reply #14

Soundstar

Hello Julien,

It's a pitty you don't have a APC 40 MK2 for testing.

Just tested your suggestion, but it does not work at all.
My best gues is that it is dependend on the data2 field, `1 being a bpm of 003 and 127 being a bpm of 300..

Tested it with a different kind of rotay knob, then it works.
Would rather have the " tempo " knob, because it has that name on the apc 40 mk2,  a bit less confusing.

Any other way to figure this out?

With kind regards,
Robert Versmoren
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:40:51 PM by Soundstar »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk