Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: GPI to DMX signal  (Read 5348 times)

June 28, 2017, 02:37:04 PM
Read 5348 times

tizianos

hi,
I have a question regarding the IoCore/CueCore2 programming.
I've to program a lot of actions where the trigger is a switch. that switch turn on/off the light.
what I don't understand is that if I set an OSC message to the CC2, the CC2 will use that OSC message to play a track stored in the playback but I can't handle the fading time and I don't want to switch off the light if another track is triggered.
that's why I've to go with another programming mode.
I want to receive a trigger from the IoCore and send a DMX command to the channells (I think I can use the GPI-DMX). what I want to understand is: how can I handle the fading time in this way?
for me it's really important to handle the fading time because if I use the "increment" function, I can't change the fading time.
last question is: what is the GPI-DMX action limit for each IoCore?

regards,
tiziano

June 29, 2017, 10:30:38 AM
Reply #1

Guido Visser

• Administrator
    • Visual Productions
Hello Tizianos,

Before I answer you questions I would like to ask you a few questions. I assume that you have a number of IoCores which you have connected to buttons or switches. And you would like to control some lights using these buttons or switches. These lights are connected to an CueCore2.

1. How many lights need to be controlled individually?
2. Should some of your buttons or switches control the same lights?
3. Should some of your buttons or switches control multiple lights?

If you answer these questions I may be able to help you setup the units. Now I will answer your questions. If I have read your post correctly you have the following questions:

Question 1: How do I set a fade time in a playback of the CueCore2?
When you add a cue to a playback it has a few options. One of these is called fade. This is used when a cue starts. If you would also like to set a fade out time you can do that by entering a time in the Release field of the playback.

Question 2. Can I use the template GPI -> DMX?
This template can be used as is or as an example. It will setup the GPI of the IoCore to control the first 8 DMX channels of the IoCore. If your lights are connected to the CueCore2. You lights will not respond to the DMX of the IoCore. You can use this template as a start and modify it to do what you want.

Question 3. How can you change a DMX channel on a CueCore2 using a IoCore?
If you are using a IoCore and a CueCore2 you can send a UDP message "core-dmx-20=33" to set channel 20 to 33. You can also send a OSC message with the address "/core/dmx/22/" and an unsigned number like 55. Which will set channel 22 to 55.

Question 4. How many actions you can program in an IoCore and a CueCore2?
In both the IoCore and the CueCore2 you can create 48 actions in an action list. And a total of 64 action on the device. A action can have 8 tasks. And a total of 128 task on the device.

Question 5. How can I setup a fade time when using direct DMX control?
This is very dependent on your setup. That is why I have asked you some questions. But a simple answer would be to use a task DMX -> Set Value -> Increment and a task DMX -> Set Value ->Decrement in show control of the IoCore. This will controls the DMX of the IoCore and not the DMX of the CueCore2.

I hoop that this information was helpful.

Best regards,
Guido
Guido Visser
Visual Productions BV

June 29, 2017, 04:54:28 PM
Reply #2

tizianos

dear guido,
find below in red my answer.
regards

Hello Tizianos,

Before I answer you questions I would like to ask you a few questions. I assume that you have a number of IoCores which you have connected to buttons or switches. And you would like to control some lights using these buttons or switches. These lights are connected to an CueCore2.

1. How many lights need to be controlled individually? 52
2. Should some of your buttons or switches control the same lights? no, each switches control a group of 4 lighting fixtures.
3. Should some of your buttons or switches control multiple lights? sure, see above

If you answer these questions I may be able to help you setup the units. Now I will answer your questions. If I have read your post correctly you have the following questions:

Question 1: How do I set a fade time in a playback of the CueCore2?
When you add a cue to a playback it has a few options. One of these is called fade. This is used when a cue starts. If you would also like to set a fade out time you can do that by entering a time in the Release field of the playback.
I don't want to switch off other lights while another action is triggered.

Question 2. Can I use the template GPI -> DMX?
This template can be used as is or as an example. It will setup the GPI of the IoCore to control the first 8 DMX channels of the IoCore. If your lights are connected to the CueCore2. You lights will not respond to the DMX of the IoCore. You can use this template as a start and modify it to do what you want.
ok ,noted

Question 3. How can you change a DMX channel on a CueCore2 using a IoCore?
If you are using a IoCore and a CueCore2 you can send a UDP message "core-dmx-20=33" to set channel 20 to 33. You can also send a OSC message with the address "/core/dmx/22/" and an unsigned number like 55. Which will set channel 22 to 55.
ok, noted. this will be very helpful but if I have 7x IoCore with 16 action, how can I trigger in the CC2 all of this action?!

Question 4. How many actions you can program in an IoCore and a CueCore2?
In both the IoCore and the CueCore2 you can create 48 actions in an action list. And a total of 64 action on the device. A action can have 8 tasks. And a total of 128 task on the device.
ok, noted.

Question 5. How can I setup a fade time when using direct DMX control?
This is very dependent on your setup. That is why I have asked you some questions. But a simple answer would be to use a task DMX -> Set Value -> Increment and a task DMX -> Set Value ->Decrement in show control of the IoCore. This will controls the DMX of the IoCore and not the DMX of the CueCore2.
what is the fade time of increment/decrement? Can I choose it?

thank you, your help is really appreciate.

Best regards,
Guido

June 30, 2017, 09:35:26 AM
Reply #3

Guido Visser

• Administrator
    • Visual Productions
Hello Tizianos,

If my assumption, that you have connected the lights to the CueCore2, is correct then you can do the following.

To create the effect we will create an action which will increment a variable when you toggle your switch. The we will have a second action which will decrement the variable when you toggle your switch back. You can then use the value of the variable as the value of your dmx channel.

1. In the IoCore you will need to create an action in the GPI action list.
 2. Change the trigger value to the GPI port.
 3. Set the trigger flank to Down.
 4. Add a task Variable.
 5. Set the featrue to Set Value and the function to Continuous Increment.
 6. Set param1 to the GPI port.
 7. Param2 is used for the speed of the fade in. Set it to something you like.
 8. Create another action in the GPI action list.
 9. Change the trigger value to the GPI port.
10. Set the trigger flank to Up.
11. Add a task Variable.
12. Set the featrue to Set Value and the function to Continuous Decrement.
13. Set param1 to the GPI port.
14. Param2 is used for the speed of the fade out.
15. Create an action in the Variable action list.
16. Change the trigger value to the GPI port.
17. Add a task UDP.
18. Set the featrue to Send Unsigned and the function to Control.
19. Set param1 to "core-dmx-20=". Relapse the number 20 for the channel you need.
20. Set param2 to the IP addres and UDP port of the CueCore2. Example "192.168.1.10:7000".
21. Repeat for other GPI ports and on other IoCores.

Best regards,
Guido
Guido Visser
Visual Productions BV

June 30, 2017, 12:31:08 PM
Reply #4

tizianos

thank you very much.
this is very clear now.
please find below in red my last doubt.
regards,

Hello Tizianos,

If my assumption, that you have connected the lights to the CueCore2, is correct then you can do the following.

To create the effect we will create an action which will increment a variable when you toggle your switch. The we will have a second action which will decrement the variable when you toggle your switch back. You can then use the value of the variable as the value of your dmx channel.

1. In the IoCore you will need to create an action in the GPI action list.
 2. Change the trigger value to the GPI port.
 3. Set the trigger flank to Down.
 4. Add a task Variable.
 5. Set the featrue to Set Value and the function to Continuous Increment.
 6. Set param1 to the GPI port.
 7. Param2 is used for the speed of the fade in. Set it to something you like.
 8. Create another action in the GPI action list.
 9. Change the trigger value to the GPI port.
10. Set the trigger flank to Up.
11. Add a task Variable.
12. Set the featrue to Set Value and the function to Continuous Decrement.
13. Set param1 to the GPI port.
14. Param2 is used for the speed of the fade out.
15. Create an action in the Variable action list.
16. Change the trigger value to the GPI port.
17. Add a task UDP.
18. Set the featrue to Send Unsigned and the function to Control.
19. Set param1 to "core-dmx-20=". Relapse the number 20 for the channel you need.
20. Set param2 to the IP addres and UDP port of the CueCore2. Example "192.168.1.10:7000".
this is the command to switch ON the light. what is the command to switch OFF the light? how the system recognize that the light is off?
21. Repeat for other GPI ports and on other IoCores.

Best regards,
Guido

June 30, 2017, 02:20:30 PM
Reply #5

Guido Visser

• Administrator
    • Visual Productions
Hello Tizianos,

Step 18 makes the message use the value from a variable. Which has the fade in and fade out effect. A lot of fixtures use something like a master dimmer. Which would turn OFF the light when the value is set to 0.

Do your fixtures use a system like a master dimmer? Could you tell me what the fixtures are doing with the signal after you have set it up?

Best regards,
Guido
Guido Visser
Visual Productions BV

June 30, 2017, 04:04:22 PM
Reply #6

tizianos

I've a 2x dmx dimmer where are connected all the lights. this dimmer is connected directly to the CC2.
the 7x IoCore and the 1x CC2 are connected togheter through a PoE switch.

if I have a 16bit channel, how can I handle it?
can I write "core-dmx-20+21="? or is there another way?

thank you very much.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:09:56 PM by tizianos »

July 03, 2017, 10:23:01 AM
Reply #7

Guido Visser

• Administrator
    • Visual Productions
Hello Tizianos,

There is no build in system to for smooth fading using a 16 bit dimmer in the IoCore. There is a system in the CueCore2. However it will use the fading of a playback. And because there are only 6 playbacks this is not an option in your situation.

Is it possible to set your dimmers to a 8 bit mode?

Best regards,
Guido
Guido Visser
Visual Productions BV

July 04, 2017, 03:02:16 PM
Reply #8

tizianos

dear guido,
I can set the dimmers to a 8 bit mode but I need to work on 16 bit in order to get a perfect fading.
Do you think that is viable to increment 2 channels togheter?
I mean, I want to send more than 1 message in one action, is it possible?

Hello Tizianos,

There is no build in system to for smooth fading using a 16 bit dimmer in the IoCore. There is a system in the CueCore2. However it will use the fading of a playback. And because there are only 6 playbacks this is not an option in your situation.

Is it possible to set your dimmers to a 8 bit mode?

Best regards,
Guido

July 05, 2017, 10:59:49 AM
Reply #9

Guido Visser

• Administrator
    • Visual Productions
Hello Tizianos,

There is a way to send multiple messages per action. To do this you can repeat step 17 through 20. And change the channel in step 19. This will send 2 messages. The messages will have a different channel but the same value.

However there is no build in system for smooth fading using a 16 bit dimmer in the IoCore. There is a system in the CueCore2. It will use the fading of a playback. If you really need a 16 bit dimmer then you will have to use multiple CueCore2's. If I have understood you correctly you need 52 GPI ports. Which would require 13 CueCore2's.

Best regards,
Guido
Guido Visser
Visual Productions BV

July 09, 2017, 10:29:29 PM
Reply #10

tizianos

Hello Tizianos,

There is a way to send multiple messages per action. To do this you can repeat step 17 through 20. And change the channel in step 19. This will send 2 messages. The messages will have a different channel but the same value.

However there is no build in system for smooth fading using a 16 bit dimmer in the IoCore. There is a system in the CueCore2. It will use the fading of a playback. If you really need a 16 bit dimmer then you will have to use multiple CueCore2's. If I have understood you correctly you need 52 GPI ports. Which would require 13 CueCore2's.

Best regards,
Guido

dear guido,
sorry to bother you again about programming question. what I don't understand from your guide is only one thing.
what I have to do is:
- when the switch is on: channell 1 at 100% // channell 2 at 50%
- when the switch is off: channell 1+2 at 0
if I go on with the programming, suggested by you, I'll get all channell at 100% or 0%, if I want to program as above, I cannot use the variables, am I right?
thank you for your time,
regards

July 10, 2017, 09:20:35 AM
Reply #11

Guido Visser

• Administrator
    • Visual Productions
Hello Tizianos,

A variable can only have one value at a time. There for you can not set channel 1 at 100% and channel 2 at 50% using one variable. If you need both channels to fade using a single variable. If one of the channels simply changes to the other value you can use the variable.

For example you can fade channel 1 between 0% and 100%. When channel 1 reaches 0% set channel 2 to 0% and when channel 1 reaches 100% set channel 2 to 50%. In this case channel 2 would not fade.

Best regards,
Guido
Guido Visser
Visual Productions BV

July 10, 2017, 12:17:18 PM
Reply #12

tizianos

Hello Tizianos,

A variable can only have one value at a time. There for you can not set channel 1 at 100% and channel 2 at 50% using one variable. If you need both channels to fade using a single variable. If one of the channels simply changes to the other value you can use the variable.

For example you can fade channel 1 between 0% and 100%. When channel 1 reaches 0% set channel 2 to 0% and when channel 1 reaches 100% set channel 2 to 50%. In this case channel 2 would not fade.

Best regards,
Guido
dear guido,
what I understand is that I have 2 option to do the above programming:
-> option 1: programming with variables that allow me to chose a fade time but the channell can have only the following values at 100% or 0%.
-> option 2: programming with playbacks but I need to use so much CC2 and this is not viable.
am I right on this? just to understand better what I can do with this devices.

July 10, 2017, 02:16:20 PM
Reply #13

Guido Visser

• Administrator
    • Visual Productions
Hello Tizianos,

A variable can only have one value at a time. This is a value from 0 through 255. All integer values in this range can be stored. (0, 1, 2, ..., 253, 254, 255) If some task needs a percentage this value will be converted to a percentage automatically.

The variable can be used to fade 1 channel from 0% to 100%. (0%, 1%, 2%, ..., 98%, 99%, 100%) You can use this variable for multiple things. The thing I described in the example is controlling a channel. However you can do other things as well.

The IoCore has 8 variables. Which allows you to control 8 channels in this way. In you setup every GPI pin would use 1 variable. To control a total of 8 channels with a fade.

Best regards,
Guido
Guido Visser
Visual Productions BV

July 12, 2017, 09:58:34 AM
Reply #14

tizianos

dear guido,
I'm testing the programming now and I see that if I try to fade 2 channells togheter with the same variables, I get 1 channel with the fade and the other one is stuck at 1% and when the other reach the 100%, the channel goes to the 100% without fading.
what I want to know, how can I write in one-string two channel togheter? for example, why can't I write like this "core-dmx-1+2="?
thank you.
in addition, where can I find a complete list of all UDP commands?

edit: I assume that I cannot program like this because of all problems related to the UDP signal. It can't be possible. I go back to the playback and track programming.

regards,
tiziano
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:45:07 AM by tizianos »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk