Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Tip for updating visual DMX en visual 3D  (Read 14862 times)

March 02, 2007, 04:28:00 PM
Read 14862 times

lj kevin

Hi,

I've encounterd this problem several times.
If you have an older version of visual dmx &/or visual 3d, and you want to update to a newer version, it sometimes hapens that you get an error report when you start the program.

You can avoid this by uninstalling visual dmx / visual 3d, and going in to the rootfile e.g.: C:\Program Files\Visual Productions\Visual3D
and deleting the folder of the program you uninstalled. and then just install the newer version.
This should fix the problem.

I think this hapens because there are some files that are not correctly overwriten, or that just remain and cause confusion in the program.
If you delete the folder, and then reinstall the program, it has to recreate the destenation folder, so it can't incorrectly overwrite the files that remain after uninstalling, or the older versions off some files after update.

I hope this problem can be fixed in the next versions.

March 13, 2007, 05:40:03 PM
Reply #1

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
Quote from: "lj kevin"
Hi,
I hope this problem can be fixed in the next versions.

Hi Kevin,

This is not a software-problem. The best way to update VisualDMX or Visual3D, is by either deleting the old directory, or by installing to a new directory (e.g. VisualDMX x.xx where x.xx is your version number).

Several files are not being overwritten by the installer to make sure user-made changes won't be lost.
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk