Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: X, Y, Z roll values.  (Read 9485 times)

June 06, 2007, 05:59:57 PM
Read 9485 times

Onge

• Just Floyd Lighting Guy
    • Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute
Hi,

I am trying to position my fixtures in the Visual3D by using the fixture properties. Positioning in X, Y and Z fields is fine, but when I what to Roll in X, Y and Z it does not produce the effect I want.
For Example I have a Martin SCX700 which by default points towards the camera with values of 0 in the X, Y an Z Roll fields.
I want the scanner to be tilted down by 40degress  and pointing towards the left (looking towards the stage and lights).
I put 40degress in the X roll, this gives the tilt I want.
I put 270degrees in the Y roll so it points to the left.
Well it does not produce the position I want or what I think it should be.

Another thing is if you put a value in the X Roll and then put the same value in the Z Roll it cancels each of the out.

Does not seem to matter what values I put in X, Y or Z roll I cannot get it into the scanner pointing the way I want it to.
Is this a bug or am I really being thick.

Any help would be really appreciated.

André

OK I have now got them in the positions I want, just kept adding/subtracting 10degrees here and there to get what I wanted. What an awkward way of doing it.
Here are the values that I used.
For the Scanner on the left of the stage (looking towards stage) I wanted it tilting down and pointing to the right.
So values in X, Y and Z Roll are as follows :- 270, 130, 90
For the Scanner on the right of the stage (looking towards stage) I wanted it tilting down and pointing to the left.
So values in X, Y and Z Roll are as follows :- 90, 310, 90

If someone could explain the correlation of those figures to what is represented I would be most appreciative.
Other software I have used is not as awkward as this to position fixtures.

Andre
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 11:37:18 AM by Onge »
There is no darkside, it is all dark.

June 11, 2007, 11:48:59 AM
Reply #1

Onge

• Just Floyd Lighting Guy
    • Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute
Is it possible that one or more of the x, y or z axis is moving with the fixture.

For example if you put 40 degrees into the x-roll it will tilt the fixtures top towards you, then if you put 90 degrees in y-roll, it has turned the fixture 90 degrees but it has rolled it around fixtures "new" y-axis not the global y-axis. x, y and z axis should never change. I should know this as I have programmed 3, 4 and 5 axis CNC machines. If the axis changed it would make a real mess of the component and the machine.

I hope I am making myself clear here it's much easier to see in the program than trying to explain in words.

André
There is no darkside, it is all dark.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk