Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Culux issue with DMX signal to lights - need help!  (Read 2885 times)

June 20, 2019, 12:36:13 PM
Read 2885 times

djbobbyb

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help...

I am running Cuelux with a Macbook pro and controlling 4 Chauvet Intimidater Beam 350s.  Up until last night it was working fine, however last night the lights stopped responding to any controls I would send via Cuelux. 

When connecting all 4 lights, lights 1,2 & 3 would just do random things however I would have full control of Light 4.
If one light is connected I would have full control of it.
If two lights are connected, both lights were controllable, however when you stop controlling them light 1 would sart doing random things.
If 3 lights were connected, all 3 would start doing random things and not accepting any cuelux signals.

I have tested the lights with another desk and they worked fine, changed cables and retested with both new desk and cuelux, worked fine with another desk but not with Cuelux.
I have also tested with another laptop and same issue exists..
I have also tested with an older version of Cuelux which has worked fine previously, but same issue..

Has anyone came across this before?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

June 20, 2019, 03:05:22 PM
Reply #1

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

Do you happen to have something like a DMX tester, or a desk with DMX input so you can test the DMX signal that is coming out of the last fixture? Also try to test the Cuelux cable without any fixtures attached. Let me know how that works out.

I'm suspecting that something in the DMX line is going wrong, and that the Cuelux cable's signal is not strong enough.
The desk might have a better DMX output. Can you try without each light, one at a time?

Good luck!

Greetings,
Bootsy

June 20, 2019, 04:21:19 PM
Reply #2

djbobbyb

Thanks Bootsy,

when i try one light at a time it seems to work fine, as soon as 2 are connected it starts being funny and as soon as the 3rd is connected they all just start doing there own thing and when you connect the 4th the 4th takes the signal but the other 3 wont...

I have even tried adding them all to the same dmx channel and the same issue happens - could his be software related (but i have tried 2 different laptops and same issue), or is this the dongle?

I will need to test the DMX - however never had any issues before like this...

June 21, 2019, 11:03:16 AM
Reply #3

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

And it doesn't matter in which order, or which fixtures you use?

I'm not sure yet what it could be... Is it possible to test the dongle with different fixtures? A DMX tester would be best, if you happen to know someone who has one...

Greetings,
Bootsy

July 03, 2019, 12:55:26 PM
Reply #4

djbobbyb

Hi Bootsy,

so i toke the controller up to a few guys that do professional lighting.. they could not test the dmx output as the tester requires a loop in order to work...

So we did check it with other lights and the same issue occurs.. It seems the dongle is sending a signal out even before cuelux advises to do anything to the fixtures.. It seems there is a cable fault, is there anyway to fix/test this?

thanks

July 03, 2019, 02:23:23 PM
Reply #5

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

What kind of signal is it sending, before you do anything on Cuelux?

Greetings,
Bootsy

July 03, 2019, 02:42:06 PM
Reply #6

djbobbyb

As soon as the laptop is powered up and cuelux connected, it just stars sending random signals to the fixtures and they are all doing various things.. When you start cuelux it continues where as in the past when you start cuelux, everything would go to home position..

July 03, 2019, 05:04:38 PM
Reply #7

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

I'm afraid your Cuelux cable might be broken.  I wil send you an email with the details how to proceed.

Greetings,
Bootsy

September 12, 2019, 02:53:34 PM
Reply #8

DJ PAV

Hi, I am in the same boat with a broken/faulty Cable, can you email me the procedure please .

September 12, 2019, 03:56:46 PM
Reply #9

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

I've sent you an email.

Greetings,
Bootsy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk