Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: System Trigger Network connection clarification  (Read 1754 times)

October 08, 2019, 03:30:16 PM
Read 1754 times

c2b

Hi,

I am hoping to find some more information on what is the expected behavior on the system network connection triggers.
Ideally I am looking for a way to recognise if a specific device is online at any time. Is this the way forwards?

Thank you for your help

October 08, 2019, 05:36:06 PM
Reply #1

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

The action source System - Network Connection will trigger when a network connection has been established.
This is much like the System - Startup action, but it will trigger only after the network has been established.

Can you explain a bit more about what you want to achieve? Perhaps I can think of a way to do so.

Greetings,
Bootsy

October 18, 2019, 11:14:18 AM
Reply #2

c2b

Hi Bootsy,

Thank you for your reply.
I have a small network with an unmanaged switch providing PoE to a B-Station unit.
The other units are non visualproduction devices for DMX playback

I am working around an issue on another manufacturers problem where I need to give the device a "cooldown time" before starting to stream artnet. ie: if the device receives UDP data while initializing, it permanently blocks that socket connection.
This is easy to fix with a timer on power up, but I am looking for a way to be able to handle a network disconnect.
The B-station should stop streaming data if device A goes missing and trigger my userlist actions once the device is back online.

Hopefully this is clearer.
Thank you for your help

October 18, 2019, 12:15:26 PM
Reply #3

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

I'm afraid I don't think it is possible with the B-Station. We don't have any option to ping another device and keep track of it.
My solution would be the timer at power up, but you already found that one I see.

I'm sorry but I don't think I have a solution for you... Unless you can have the other device send UDP messages every x seconds?

Greetings,
Bootsy

October 19, 2019, 12:39:33 PM
Reply #4

c2b

Unfortunately that is not a possibility.

As a matter of curiosity, are you able to expand on the expected behaviour of the Network Connection trigger?
What qualifies a network connection as existent in, for example, a p2p setup?

October 21, 2019, 04:48:39 PM
Reply #5

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

The network connection action is triggered as soon as you make any connection at all. Connecting a switch without anything else should trigger it. (It does with my Netgear switch here)

Greetings,
Bootsy

October 25, 2019, 07:21:52 PM
Reply #6

c2b

Thank you for clarifying.
Out of interested, Is your netgear switch managed? Would the behavior be different with managed / unmanaged switches?

October 26, 2019, 12:28:49 PM
Reply #7

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

I have an unmanaged switch, so I'm guessing the behaviour would be the same with all switches. (Although I haven't tried it with real cheap ones, that maybe different)

Greetings,
Bootsy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk