Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Midi out  (Read 12421 times)

January 05, 2009, 03:33:10 PM
Read 12421 times

Dojec

Hi,

I was wondering if the visualdmx also sends midi out while executing the chases.

January 05, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Reply #1

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
Hi,

VisualDMX doesn't send MIDI from chases. But, from the Action Editor it's possible to send MIDI out from an Action, triggered by DMX Input, MIDI IN, keyboard, Visual Touch, GPI, etcetera.

What would you use the MIDI out for?

Regards,

Jeroen
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

January 05, 2009, 04:02:35 PM
Reply #2

Dojec

In our band, we play with midi files ( we don't have a drummer ). This means that our timings are always excact and correct ( at least the ones from the midi  ;D )
I recently bought 8 led pars and 3 led washers. What I want to do now is to create a customised show for every song we are playing. The current setup is DXM channel 1 = midi note C0, DMX channel 2 = midi note C#0 ,... and so on.
This means that for instance, if I want a red color on LED par 1 ( which is on DMX 13 ), I have to play the note C1 .
I have tried to create a show with a midi sequencer, but this means a lot of work, since you have to manually write every note with the corresponding velocity for the brightness of the light.
So now I'm looking if there are easier tools available which can generate the midi file ( or sending and then recording with another sequencer ). For instance, smooth fading means writing 127 notes with decreasing velocity. Maybe this is a lot easier with a tool specially for writing light shows.

So bottom line, for every song we play, I want to have an unique lichtshow dedicated to that song. It should be easy to control on stage, since we don't have a seperate light man. And ideal would be the possibility to program offline ( now I have to setup all lights to see what I'm doing ).

Regards,
Walter

January 05, 2009, 04:22:31 PM
Reply #3

Jeroen van der Velden

Hi Walter,

This is all possible with VisualDMX using MIDI input for triggering DMX sequences/presets/etc.

Sequences  (chases, fades, etc.) or static presets can be triggered by MIDI. For example you setup VisualDMX to work like this:

Note C 0: LED PAR's static WHITE
Note C#0: LED PAR's static RED
Note D 0: LED PAR's static GREEN
Note D#0: LED PAR's static BLUE

Note E 0: LED PAR's chase RED/ORANGE
Note F 0: LED PAR's chase GREEN/BLUE

Note C 1: LED washer WHITE
Note C#1: LED washer RED

but also:

MIDI CC 0: Control Grand Master level (fade in 127 steps)

etc.

That way you can make a library of "building blocks" for your shows in the software which are triggered by simple MIDI-notes you send from the MIDI-sequencer you're using. Building a lightshow for a song then only requires triggering one ore more building blocks on the right moments in the song!

Regards,

Jeroen
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:25:42 PM by Jeroen van der Velden »
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

January 05, 2009, 04:40:01 PM
Reply #4

Dojec

Message send to your inbox.
Regards,
Walter

December 09, 2009, 10:52:42 AM
Reply #5

Jeroen van der Velden

I need to send the midi clock from my drum machine, thru my micronmidi in-out-thru to my blofeld desktop midi in but i have an axiom in the middle that controls my blofeld
Is it possible to send the midi clock to the axiom and from the axiom to the blofeld?
Hi,

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't cover your MIDI problems. However, simple solution is to put the Axiom in front of the drum machine and output to a MIDI channel to which only your Blofeld listens (set other MIDI devices to other channel). So for example:

Axiom (ch1) >> Drum machine (ch10) >> Micron (ch2)  >> Blofeld Desktop (ch1)

Regards,

Jeroen
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:54:52 AM by Jeroen van der Velden »
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk