Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Cuelux and MIDI  (Read 13445 times)

April 10, 2009, 07:40:11 PM
Read 13445 times

dekaaz

I figured this topic goes best in the Cuelux forum, feel free to move it.

First of all, just wanted to let you guys know how excited i am about Cuelux, i've been watching from afar for a while because it fits perfectly with the way we operate as a band. So let me fill you in real quick...

I'm not sure how much you guys know about sound engineering and operation but basically, our entire rig revolves around technology, aka: Macs, and the MIDI. In a live setting we run and process, and mix all instruments through a Mac Pro using Ableton Live 7, and then run direct to the PA system, this is where the midi starts and where Cuelux seems to fit so perfectly...

Using an airport and the audio midi setup standard on the macs, I use a copy of Live 7 on my macbook, wires free from the back of the room to send midi notes over the wireless network to trigger corresponding midi notes on the onstage Mac Pro which allows me to control all faders, eq's, etc... So basically midi allows me to control the entrie show wirelessly in a very wysiwyg format.

Secondly we use a seperate session of midi as well as a Behringer MIDI foot controller to trigger all samples directly on the Mac Pro, many of these simultaneously trigger a macbook (wirelessly via midi) in the back of the room to cue video feeds.

By the way, this is by far the short version of what we do, the iPhones add a whole other world of experimentation

So basically, because of Cuelux's MIDI capabilities I'm extremely excited to try to move the lighting sector of our performance into the wireless, Mac-centric, digital format that works so well for us.

All I need to do is find a reliable process by which to control either a DMX/MIDI converter or a way to do it. This is the problem, because i'm not quite on top of this aspect of the lighting industry, and i was wondering, if you guys could help me figure this out, because you don't know how much i'd appreciate it, as well as how much i appreciate what you guys are doing now.

Also I want you to know that you have reliable fan(s) in Pennsylvania, U.S. that will try to push your program to and beyond its capabilities. So i'll probably stick around. Thanks guys!

April 10, 2009, 09:27:05 PM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
Thanks for your post. Your setup sounds impressive, I don't know much about audio stuff, but as a self-declared nerd I'm very excited about the thought of mixing so much technology with entertainment...

Perhaps we should discuss some of the technicalities by phone, feel free to give me or Jeroen a call in the office next week. Your mornings would work best timezone-wise.

In general, both Cuelux and VisualDMX have MIDI functions. In Cuelux MIDI is primarily used for control surfaces and works via selecting 'fixed' mapping files from a list in the options window. These files are stored in XML in your Cuelux folder and can hacked by anyone who understands XML.
VisualDMX offers a more flexible and powerful way of programming incoming and outgoing MIDI messages. But hey, VisualDMX is not available on Mac OS (yet)  ;) 

Let's see what we can do...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:29:00 PM by Maarten Engels »
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

October 11, 2009, 03:37:46 PM
Reply #2

majortom

But hey, VisualDMX is not available on Mac OS (yet)  ;) 

Any time frame yet for a Mac version? Any chance it will be ready by early May of next year?

/carmi

October 12, 2009, 01:34:13 AM
Reply #3

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
I want to make Cuelux work with the Numark Total Control, but it's not working :(
The MIDI-light is flickering when I press some buttons, but Cuelux isn't reacting on it.
But I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

For example:
I change the Korg-file to make it work for my Total Control.. First, I change the name so I can simply identify it Cuelux.

Originally, this is the code to Fog:
Code: [Select]
                    <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 49</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        <task type="Global Fog" feature="Play State" function ="Control">
                            <argument type="Play State">Flash</argument>
                        </task>

When I'm right, "Index 55" is the CC number. I'm not sure what "Channel 0 - Message 11" is standing for.

I want to use button 55 (see this: http://www.numark.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/1/9e0e1954f2b6a7df5d19e96a4994163a/file/totalcontrol_midimap.pdf) to activate the Fog.

But when I (simply) change the 49 to 55 (and restart Cuelux) it doesn't work.. :(

Maarten, can you please give some explanation about how to edit the xml-files??  ::)

Gr, Rick

October 12, 2009, 11:25:28 AM
Reply #4

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
Message 11 = Control Change
Message 9 = Note

Please see if this works:

<trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 9 - Index 55</trigger>
  <tasks>
  </task>

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:29:07 AM by Jeroen van der Velden »
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

October 12, 2009, 03:08:51 PM
Reply #5

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
Message 11 = Control Change
Message 9 = Note

Please see if this works:

<trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 9 - Index 55</trigger>
  <tasks>
  </task>

Nope, no reaction  :'(
What does the "Channel 0" stands for?

October 12, 2009, 05:49:52 PM
Reply #6

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
"Channel 0" is MIDI 'Channel 1'
"Channel 1" is MIDI 'Channel 2'
"Channel 2" is MIDI 'Channel 3'
etc...

(the software 'thinks' zero-based)

Can you show a larger part of the XML code? Maybe there is syntax error in the XML...?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:52:35 PM by Maarten Engels »
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

October 12, 2009, 06:18:47 PM
Reply #7

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<show application="Cuelux" revision="1">
    <midimaps>
        <midimap label="Numark Total Control (Korg Nano Pad)">
            <actionlist label="control" source="Midi">
                <action>
                    <tasks>
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
</action>
                <action>
                    <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 9 - Index 63</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        <task type="Global Strobe" feature="Play State" function ="Control">
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
</action>
                <action>
                    <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 9 - Index 71</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        <task type="Global Blinder" feature="Play State" function ="Control">
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
</action>
            </actionlist>
        </midimap>
    </midimaps>
</show>

At this moment, I'm pressing button 55 (http://www.numark.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/1/9e0e1954f2b6a7df5d19e96a4994163a/file/totalcontrol_midimap.pdf). But as you can see, the fogger isn't working :(

October 12, 2009, 09:00:06 PM
Reply #8

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
hey, you've pimped your Cuelux skin! cool!
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

October 12, 2009, 09:02:41 PM
Reply #9

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
hey, you've pimped your Cuelux skin! cool!

Yeah, I think this blue-style is nicer then the purple one  ::)
Do you want to have it for the Download-section? ;)

October 13, 2009, 11:32:37 PM
Reply #10

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
Please download and install MIDI-OX from http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm . This tool can act as a MIDI-monitor.

Start MIDI-OX, go to Options, MIDI Devices and select your Total Control as input device. Click OK and press the button on the Total Control. What does the "Monitor - Output" window in MIDI-OX display?
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

October 14, 2009, 12:43:39 PM
Reply #11

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
Please download and install MIDI-OX from http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm . This tool can act as a MIDI-monitor.

Start MIDI-OX, go to Options, MIDI Devices and select your Total Control as input device. Click OK and press the button on the Total Control. What does the "Monitor - Output" window in MIDI-OX display?

Going to try it this evening... :)

October 14, 2009, 11:23:13 PM
Reply #12

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl

Going to try it this evening... :)

This is my output:
 TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT              
 0001295E   1   2     90    37    7F    1  G  3 Note On        // Pressing button 55      
 00012A1F   1   2     90    37    00    1  G  3 Note Off       // Releasing button 55
 00012AF6   1   2     90    3F    7F    1  Eb 4 Note On       // Pressing button 63  
 00012BB8   1   2     90    3F    00    1  Eb 4 Note Off       // Releasing button 63
 00012D16   1   2     90    47    7F    1  B  4 Note On        // Pressing button 71          
 00012DD8   1   2     90    47    00    1  B  4 Note Off       // Releasing button 71  

According to this info, I would say that I have to change the code to this:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<show application="Cuelux" revision="1">
    <midimaps>
        <midimap label="Numark Total Control (Korg Nano Pad)">
            <actionlist label="control" source="Midi">
                <action>
                    <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 1 - Message 9 - Index 55</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
</action>
                <action>
                    <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 1 - Message 9 - Index 63</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        <task type="Global Strobe" feature="Play State" function ="Control">
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
</action>
                <action>
                    <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 1 - Message 9 - Index 71</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        <task type="Global Blinder" feature="Play State" function ="Control">
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
</action>
            </actionlist>
        </midimap>
    </midimaps>
</show>

But this isn't working also :(
Is there maybe a sort of debug-function within Cuelux where I can see what commands Cuelux is getting?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:52:42 AM by djarewe »

October 22, 2009, 10:07:09 PM
Reply #13

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
Any idea..??  :-\

October 23, 2009, 11:34:37 AM
Reply #14

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
Could you try "Channel 0" in the XML file? Cuelux is zero-based, maybe Midiox is not...
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk