Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Canvix & RS232  (Read 12381 times)

April 18, 2009, 07:44:33 PM
Read 12381 times

kloas

I have an old Visualdmx hardware interface which converts RS232 to dmx. I want to use Canvix and the old (movitec) hardware to control my showtec acive sunstrips. VisualDMX recognizes the hardware but loses the link continuously. I think this is because I didn't use a terminator at the end of the dmx-line. Is it right?
My second question is: Is it possible to use the RS232-hardware box with Canvix?  The software doesn't recognize the interface.

April 20, 2009, 11:07:21 AM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
Hi Kloas,

Which version of VisualDMX do you use?
Can you see the firmware version of the RS-232 box in the options window (hardwware tab)?

The RS-232 -> DMX hardware is not compatible with Canvix (the RS-232 units were sold a long time before Canvix). If you would like start using Canvix then please consult your dealer, perhaps they can offer you an upgrade to a USB box like the Duple.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

April 20, 2009, 05:40:54 PM
Reply #2

kloas

Hi Maarten,

Yesterday I tried the set-up with a dmx-terminator. But this doesn't solve the problem. Some patterns keeps running others cause the box to hang within a few seconds. Can it be the performance of the laptop? Or the settings of the com port? (I'm using a usb-to-serial converter).
I'm not sure, but I think the firmware is 1.03 or 1.3. I cannot check this at the moment.

April 20, 2009, 07:42:47 PM
Reply #3

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
Hi Kloas,

To reproduce the problem here in the office I would need to know:

- Which version of VisualDMX do you use?
- The firmware version of the RS-232 box in the options window (hardwware tab)?

It is unlikely that a (missing) terminator would be the cause of the lost connections.

Again, Canvix is not compatible with RS-232 units.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

April 21, 2009, 06:20:38 PM
Reply #4

kloas

I Use VisuallDMX version 1.49 build 30 and firmware 1.03 in the converter-box.
The terminator does indeed not resolve the problem.
(FYI: when do not connect anything to the dmx-output and running so.me animations, the connection between laptop and converter stays up)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:54:31 PM by kloas »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk