Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: QuadCore deaths  (Read 3233 times)

October 26, 2021, 11:07:41 AM
Read 3233 times

Kn00t

Getting a bit tired of QuadCores and CueCores losing clock/time and then not working.

Several installations that can not be online, so when the cores die, I have to send a guy to update firmware and sync time with PC.

Am I doing something wrong?

October 26, 2021, 11:34:57 AM
Reply #1

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that. When you say "die", I think you mean the power of the CueCore2 or QuadCore is out, right? How long does this usually last before it is powered on again?

Which firmware are you running on the devices? There was a range of firmwares that had some issues restoring the time when the device was powered on again. It should be fixed now, I will have to double check from which firmware version it is working properly again.

Greetings,
Bootsy

November 01, 2021, 11:34:58 AM
Reply #2

Kn00t

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
A bit unclear in the wording there. When I say "die", I should probably change that to "go into coma".
All units on latest firmware as of installation date or service date.

Most units lose clock time, then just stop working. No function. Need physical reboot.
Last unit this happened with even was on an astro timer for regular reboot, but still lost clock and stopped doing any work.

Project file for one unit attached.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:01:56 PM by ljos »

November 03, 2021, 08:31:20 AM
Reply #3

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

There was an issue with time introduced when working on NTP precision around version 1.33. I believe it was solved in the 1.37 release for QuadCore.

Your backup does not include the settings of the QuadCore, so I can't see what you have for NTP server IP.  It should be displayed in white in the UI. If it is displayed in orange, the QuadCore is unable to connect to the NTP server.

Another note, the NTP server actually only triggers automatically on boot of the device. I usually recommend using a timer in ShowControl to periodically sync the time with the NTP server. To do this, first add a system startup action which starts a timer. Set it to 1 hour or something like that  (If you set it too fast, the NTP server will probably reject) Next, add an action to the timer source, set the Triggerflank to stop, and add the task "TimeServer - Refresh". Also add the task "Timer - Restart" to restart your timer.

Another way would be to add the timeserver refresh to the scheduler.

Let me know if I can help,

Greetings,
Bootsy

November 10, 2021, 11:08:52 AM
Reply #4

Kn00t

Hi, thanks for the input!

Unfortunately, most of our units are offline and can´t connect to external NTP servers. Safety regulations.

How can we then solve this? As of now, a janitor or other random person has to hook up a PC and set date/time via vManager every few weeks. I´d like to avoid that.

December 09, 2021, 03:23:23 PM
Reply #5

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

How much has the time drifted over a few weeks? Which firmware version was running on the QuadCore at that time?  It should not drift by that much in a few weeks...

A more permanent solution might be placing a local NTP server in the network, that connects to the outside world over a secondary network adapter.  Perhaps there are pre-made solutions for this over radio or 4G.

Greetings,
Bootsy

February 16, 2022, 10:01:03 AM
Reply #6

Kn00t

Hi again,
Some of my installations are in environments where there is no possibility of 4G or other network connections.
Must the units have NTP server to work properly? We have zero possibility of adding connection.

Does that mean I have to budget in regular site visits for updating time/date? That makes it expensive.

February 22, 2022, 12:24:36 PM
Reply #7

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

Please first make sure to run the latest firmware. As of today that is 1.38 for the QuadCore. Like I said, the drift should be very small over a couple of weeks. How much is the drift for your devices in that time?

Greetings,
Bootsy

February 22, 2022, 12:32:54 PM
Reply #8

Kn00t

Hi,
Yes, we update the firmware every time we have a technician on site, but that doesn't really help us.
Drift 7 minutes in four months, enough that all output froze and nothing worked.

February 22, 2022, 12:44:07 PM
Reply #9

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

I will ask the team if the 7 minute in four months is expected behaviour.

In the mean time, what do you mean with all outputs froze? I don't know the setup, but should it not just work with a 7 minute offset?

Greetings,
Bootsy

February 22, 2022, 12:55:26 PM
Reply #10

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

A thing you can try is to reset the calibration of the device by browsing to this string: (part of the HTTP API)
<ip adres>/ajax/set/settings/time/reset_calibration

There is no way of setting a proper calibration value, but if there is something in there somehow it could cause the RTC to drift more.

Greetings,
Bootsy

February 22, 2022, 01:06:43 PM
Reply #11

Kn00t

Thank you, I will ask the tech to check this calibration asap.

Here's the process for errors:

Owner of the installation calls us and says nothing works, - and the reason is zero DMX output to fixtures
Technician goes there, sees clock is wrong, syncs clock with PC
DMX out works again, and everything is good.

Repeat a few months later.

February 22, 2022, 02:26:51 PM
Reply #12

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

Are the units switched off every day, or are they normally powered 24/7?

Greetings,
Bootsy

February 22, 2022, 02:39:53 PM
Reply #13

Kn00t

They have a power cycle/reboot every day usually, since that also seems necessary to avoid trouble.
Just off/on

February 28, 2022, 10:28:08 AM
Reply #14

Bootsy van der Zande

• Administrator
Hi,

I see... I did notice that a power cycle/reboot can cause a slight difference in time. But a slight difference everyday adds up pretty quickly... Lets say the offset because of a reboot is one second, in 4 months that adds up to 2 minutes.

I will discuss it with the developers, but I am not sure we can do something about it. I will let you know.

Can you try keeping the QuadCore on 24/7? With the latest firmware this should be alright.

Greetings,
Bootsy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk