Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Timecore - Is there a limit to the number of destination IP addresses?  (Read 1205 times)

June 04, 2023, 07:36:00 AM
Read 1205 times

sidewheelie

Good morning

Congratulations on a truly great product with the Timecore.  Long time MIF2/3/4 user here, since way back when.. The timecore has really revolutionised that space and finally bought timecode distribution out of the dark ages and into the IP networked future. Thank you!

I have a large installation with multiple timecore devices. We have directed each timecore device to separate groups of target devices by using multiple destination IP addresses in the ARTNET - destination IP Address field on the Settings page.  The IP addresses are separated by commas.  This approach works well for us, because all of the devices on the network can co exist within the same address space, but the timecode data can be filtered to be sent to the relevant group of devices.

My question is, is there a limit to the number of destination IP addresses that can be added into that field and separated with a comma?  I have a vague recollection that I discovered in the past this was limited to 5 addresses.  We have another project coming up where I would like to add around 40 devices into this field, and I am wondering if this will work, or if I will need to take another approach.

Many thanks and best regards

June 05, 2023, 10:09:10 AM
Reply #1

Julien Levaufre

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
Thank you very much for your nice words about the Timecore.
As you said in your post the number of IP addresses you can use for Art-net target is limited to 5.

For your next project, I would use the broadcast function of art-net, but from your explanations I feel like this would may not fit your set up.

You can also use the RTP midi as it will still use the network

Last solution is a trick that works when setting up communication between 2 Visual Productions products.
In the Timecore art-net ip target type the address: 239.255.0.11 , and activate the sACN output by selecting universe 11 for output.
Then in the receiver setting page set the sACN input universe to 11.
Now you will be able to send art-net timecode to  the receiver.
To make some groups just change the sACN universe and the last part of the IP address. For example 239.255.0.40 and set sACN receiver input to universe 40. (the sACN output universe in the TimeCore is not important)

I hope this will help you, ;)

Julien Levaufre
Visual Productions BV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk