Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Transitioning from Sunlite Suite  (Read 2592 times)

October 07, 2009, 01:24:45 AM
Read 2592 times

KnowSlumber

Hey guys,

I'm very thrilled with Cuelux so far, very intuituve for me coming from a VJ background.
Our club, Temple in San Francisco, has had nothing but problems with its current lighting control software Sunlite Suite.
I did some research and found Cuelux, which seemed to be perfect for a smaller lighting rig like the one we have here.
Im trying to transition the system in our club over from Sunlite Suite to Cuelux, but not being a lighting designer, it's been difficult.

So far, I've been able to get our 8 movers (Elation Designspot 250) to work under Cuelux.

I have not been able to get any of our iColor LED fixtures to respond (Thanks again to Jeroen for making the .fxt)

I looked at the dmx mapping in Sunlite and apparently the movers are on Universe 01 and the LEDs are in Universe 02.

Our system is this:
A  -  8 x Elation Designspot 250
B  -  2 x ColorKinetics Colorblast 6
C  -  2 x ColorKinetics Colorblast 12
D  -  17 x 4ft ColorKinetics iColor Fresco
E  -  48 x  MR g2 controlled by 4x  PDS-70mr 24V
F  -  1 x NeoNeon Trinity Laser
G  -  1 x LN3 Cannon

DMX channel chart:
Universe 01
A  -  01-124
F  -  480-491
G  -  513
Universe 02
B   -  451-456
C  -  445-450
D  -  01-227
E  -  301-444

So according to my calculations, there's a total of 510 channels for all the lights/fx as they're set up right now?
So they should all be able to fit under 1 universe?
Does Cuelux support multiple Universes?
Any advice how to get Cuelux talking to the LEDs?

Thanks again
Noah

October 07, 2009, 11:28:24 AM
Reply #1

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
Hi Noah,

Thanks for your nice post.

Cuelux is a one universe lighting controller. This means you can only use 512 channels. There is also a 24 fixtures limitation. To be able to make your patch in Cuelux you need to do some re-addressing. Some suggestions:

- Use some addresses twice (for example, instead of choosing a unique address for all 48 individual MR g2 lights, give them the same address in groups of 4 for example). That way you use less fixtures in Cuelux.

- You can also choose to run the ColorKinetics iColor Fresco in the smaller mode, where the fixture is only 1 segment, or 2 segments instead of 4. This also saves fixtures in Cuelux.

- A fixture can have 8 subfixtures in Cuelux. In "Generic", you'll find a "RGB 08x" fixture, which has 8 subfixtures with RGB control per subfixture. You can use this fixture to control 8 MRg2 lights for example. That only counts as 1 fixture in Cuelux.

Good luck!
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

October 11, 2009, 07:20:23 AM
Reply #2

KnowSlumber

Thanks for all you suggestions, they've worked brilliantly.
I've been able to get the columns grouped per your suggestion, which leaves room for the other fixtures.
So although I haven't been able to readdress yet, I've been able to get everything to fit under one universe.

I'm really liking the concept of subfixtures, it makes it much simpler to program and group.
Thanks again for all your help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk