Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Parameter Request  (Read 11314 times)

October 22, 2009, 09:22:52 AM
Read 11314 times

Erics

• Member of the Turn The Table DJ Team
    • Turn The Table DJ Team
Is ist possible to make an option für the default aktion when creating a new cuelist. In the Moment every step i create is halt or stop.

And is it possible to switch off the "press for 2 seconds" actions to stop a running cuelist off that you stop the list imediatly. When i make i a light show i want to turn off the lights when i press a button, i don't want a delay everytime. Pehaps you could make that as a paramter in the Options, so everyone could change if he likes the old press an old behavior or wants to get a stop without delay.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:09:50 PM by Jeroen van der Velden »

October 22, 2009, 03:09:56 PM
Reply #1

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
(Whoops, I'm sorry, instead of pressing "Reply" I pressed "Modify" so I've accidentally edited your post. The questions you asked are still in there ;) )

Is ist possible to make an option für the default aktion when creating a new cuelist. In the Moment every step i create is halt or stop.
Hi Eric,

We try to keep the number of options as small as possible to keep the software simple and accessible. However, we'll have a think about a way to improve the way you set conditions/defaults per (recorded) cue.

And is it possible to switch off the "press for 2 seconds" actions to stop a running cuelist off that you stop the list imediatly. When i make i a light show i want to turn off the lights when i press a button, i don't want a delay everytime. Pehaps you could make that as a paramter in the Options, so everyone could change if he likes the old press an old behavior or wants to get a stop without delay.
Actually, a "release" button is already on our todo-list. To release using this new button, you'll just have to press the "RELEASE" button (RELEASE-buttons LED will light up) and then press the PLAY-button for the playback you want to release. That way you can time your release action more accurate!

The PLAY-button also functions as a "next" button, that's why we can't use it to immediately or directly release a playback.
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

October 22, 2009, 07:14:51 PM
Reply #2

Erics

• Turn The Table DJ Team
I think a "release" Button is no real help. Ok, you could time your release, but you must press two buttons for a simple action. With Mouse control you could use the right click for that. but that wouldn't be touch screen compatible. In Midi mode there you could use a button as "shift" and press the Play button together.

I normaly programm loops. For disco lights thats's ok. und i don't need there realy a next feature on a loop cue.
Next feature is nice for theathre or Band lightning when you would step throu the cues by a song. When you control disco light the most important sind is to turn lights on and of when you need it. That must be fast.
In the moment i let all cues play that i need and control it with  faders up and down. But on my notebook its slow and the flash button did not respond like it should. I must try that on my faster pc. But i think it would be better to turn on off only the cues that i need in that moment.

October 23, 2009, 07:29:09 AM
Reply #3

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
Like you say, a right mouse click doesn't work on a touch screen. I think its important to find a solution that works in all situations (mouse, touch screen, midi). So far, I prefer the concept of one 'release' button.

Let's keep on thinking...
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

November 05, 2009, 02:29:44 PM
Reply #4

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
Version 1.00.5 is out and has the release button. Please have look and let me know if you like it!
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

November 06, 2009, 09:04:19 AM
Reply #5

Erics

• Turn The Table DJ Team
Thanks for the information. I will try it tomorow.

November 06, 2009, 12:09:43 PM
Reply #6

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
I think it's great :)

It's working very well in combination with my touchscreen :)

November 09, 2009, 09:29:01 AM
Reply #7

Erics

• Turn The Table DJ Team
So i tested the new Version on Saturday. I special bougt a new PC for it (ASUS EEE Top PC 2002T, 20" Touchscreen with Win 7)

The Release Button works but its not a real solution for me. I helped me with starting the next scene with fader down and make a cross fade over the Midi Faders. But there you  have a problem when the Cues are stored on different Banks. You can't control both at the same time. pehaps it would be nicer if you could have a preview mode where you could change the playing cues and had one Button to take the changes live on stage.

- Is it possible to change the Strobe Leve of the Strobe Button. It normaly strobes my LED Pars on max Level. This is for normal music to fast. So it would be nice if you could change the Strobe Level in the Group Presett

- On the new PC i had a problem with renaming Cues. You must type very slow or the pc drops some charakters. I could be a Win 7 Problem. I don't figured it out. You could use the keyboard or the touch screen. It tooks much time that cuelux get the typed charackter on screen. When i have time today i test the 1.00 build 5 under XP to see if it's better there.

- In the Moment there is no solution to programm a new chaser without have the changes on the DMX Output. So it would be nice to have a Mode where you could programm a new chase while the normal lights programs are running. You could see normal programm LED Pars with ne Fixture Icons on screen without having them connected. So i thing it would be possible to do that when the Lights do a normal chase live.

- When i have a Chase running and i switch the Tempo with the Tap Button the lights sometimes flashing very fast though the running chase. So it's not nice to to make the chase running slower and you have some strobe effekts. With LED Pars you see any DMX change emediatly. So it would be nicer if you would have a speed fader or somthing else were you could change the speed soft. A Sound input with beat detection would be nice, too.

November 09, 2009, 10:40:49 PM
Reply #8

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
hi Erics,

Thanks for your feedback.

pehaps it would be nicer if you could have a preview mode where you could change the playing cues and had one Button to take the changes live on stage.
We've actually noticed functions like this appearing in other lighting controllers. I think they call it 'stacking', where you can enter a couple of actions (maybe go's and release's) and execute this 'stack' of commands at once. Worth considering if/how we could add this to the Cuelux UI, I think...

- Is it possible to change the Strobe Leve of the Strobe Button. It normaly strobes my LED Pars on max Level. This is for normal music to fast. So it would be nice if you could change the Strobe Level in the Group Presett
I would like to add a way to fully customize the Strobe button... hopefully I can change this in the near future...

- On the new PC i had a problem with renaming Cues. You must type very slow or the pc drops some charakters. I could be a Win 7 Problem. I don't figured it out. You could use the keyboard or the touch screen. It tooks much time that cuelux get the typed charackter on screen. When i have time today i test the 1.00 build 5 under XP to see if it's better there.
This is not likely to be a Win7 problem. The onscreen keyboard is still a bit sluggish. You could disable the onscreen keyboard in the options if you have real keyboard. I will optimize this later on as well.

- In the Moment there is no solution to programm a new chaser without have the changes on the DMX Output. So it would be nice to have a Mode where you could programm a new chase while the normal lights programs are running. You could see normal programm LED Pars with ne Fixture Icons on screen without having them connected. So i thing it would be possible to do that when the Lights do a normal chase live.
This sounds like some sort of 'blind' programming mode. It sounds usefull, I am just trying to figure out how to do this without adding complexity to the software.... let's have a think and see what we can come up with.

- When i have a Chase running and i switch the Tempo with the Tap Button the lights sometimes flashing very fast though the running chase. So it's not nice to to make the chase running slower and you have some strobe effekts. With LED Pars you see any DMX change emediatly. So it would be nicer if you would have a speed fader or somthing else were you could change the speed soft. A Sound input with beat detection would be nice, too.
I agree. Both additions - manual change of speed (with a rotary?) and sound-input-beat-detection - are on my todo list.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

November 10, 2009, 09:26:36 AM
Reply #9

Erics

• Turn The Table DJ Team
We've actually noticed functions like this appearing in other lighting controllers. I think they call it 'stacking', where you can enter a couple of actions (maybe go's and release's) and execute this 'stack' of commands at once. Worth considering if/how we could add this to the Cuelux UI, I think...
Yes, thats what i mean. I mostly programm with Martin LJ, but the concept is realy differen than cuelux. There you have 12 cue slots wich can run at the same time. And you could change all of them or only one with one click on a load button. Perhaps in cuelux it would be the easyst way to do this over the overview of the Cuelists. There you could add a little icon for every cuelist where you can mark for stop or play and than you have an execution button to take the changes happen. Perhaps it would be nice to have the option to save the cuelist are running (perhaps with a marker wich you want to save) and add this to a different screen view. So you could save and recall different scenarios.

I would like to add a way to fully customize the Strobe button... hopefully I can change this in the near future...
Yes, that would be nice. If you mix different fixtures, it would be the easys way when you could assigne a strobe level for each fixture in the Strobe Group.

This is not likely to be a Win7 problem. The onscreen keyboard is still a bit sluggish. You could disable the onscreen keyboard in the options if you have real keyboard. I will optimize this later on as well.
Ok, i will try if it,s better with dissabled onscreen keyboard

This sounds like some sort of 'blind' programming mode. It sounds usefull, I am just trying to figure out how to do this without adding complexity to the software.... let's have a think and see what we can come up with.
Thats what i mean. There must be a mode where you could switch between live and blind programming. Perhaps it would be nice if the screen color change, so that it is easy visible in wich mode you are in.

I agree. Both additions - manual change of speed (with a rotary?) and sound-input-beat-detection - are on my todo list.
Ok, than i will wait and see how it will be in the future.

November 13, 2009, 12:57:12 AM
Reply #10

Erics

• Turn The Table DJ Team
So... i thout about the cuelux functions... and had a great idea:

When you Cuelists are stopped the flash button don't work. So why? I think i would be great when the cuelist on that fader is not playing and you press flash... the cuelist should be start with the value of the fader.
That gives you great controlling features:
- You could programm a Cue with the Strobe Level of LEDs Par on 100%. The cue ist stopped. Now you put the Fader on 50%. And when you press now the Flash Button you have a Strobe Level of 50%... And a nice Effekt... And you can adjust the Level on the Fly in that moment...
- You could Programm a Color Scene... and Flash it with the Level you Fader is... So you could Flash a color and play with the level of the fader at the same time.

Very important that the is now delay in the DMX output when you press flash. It should be instant.

For me that would be a great deal. And you don't have to modify the look of cuelux...  If you have any questions... ask :)

November 30, 2009, 12:10:41 PM
Reply #11

Erics

• Turn The Table DJ Team
Any response to my last post?

In the Moment you can't realy make good light shows with cuelux. I can't programm fade time with the actual version. The Break Functions is horrible. It steps fast to all steps that happed during the breakt after the break button is released. And it is not possible to switch running cues on two banks at the same time without a midi controller...

Sometimes i think no one from the programmers test there program with real lights...

December 02, 2009, 02:38:41 PM
Reply #12

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
hi Erics,

Sorry for testing your patience; 24 hours in a days seems like a design fault to me; just not enough time..

you press flash... the cuelist should be start
I am afraid it will be confusing to use the 'flash' button as a 'go' button.

Very important that the is now delay in the DMX output when you press flash. It should be instant.
Could you please expand on this issue? How long of a delay? What are you computer's specs? We are unaware of any issues in this area, if there are any I would like to address them asap.

I can't programm fade time with the actual version.
Please have a look at http://www.visualproductions.nl/forum/index.php?topic=831.0

The Break Functions is horrible. It steps fast to all steps that happed during the breakt after the break button is released.
I have tried but I cannot reproduce this problem. Did the problem occur in v1.00.9 ?

And it is not possible to switch running cues on two banks at the same time without a midi controller...
Even with a MIDI controller it's tricky, as the bank selection of the software and the MIDI board are sync'ed.
I am aware of this issue and am designing a function that will facilitate this. I hope to add this to Cuelux shortly. I think it is going to be beautiful...

Sometimes i think no one from the programmers test there program with real lights...
Actually we do. We do use Cuelux ourselves on gigs. Jeroen does more gigs than me, but I use it a lot on trade shows. In the office we substitute fixtures for a visualizer. So we do use the software ourselves, however, not on a daily basis. At the end of the day, we are developers and you guys are the operators who spend more time using the software. That's why I am very thankful for your feedback. Although we try, we probabily won't come up with all the great ideas for improving the software ourselves, nor will we find all the bugs. So your help very much appreciated.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

December 02, 2009, 03:56:59 PM
Reply #13

Erics

• Turn The Table DJ Team
I am afraid it will be confusing to use the 'flash' button as a 'go' button.
Why are you afraid? When you use normal DMX Light Desk with Faders, there are no go buttons. There you can programm chaser on faders. And when you press the Flash Buttons, it will playing that Chaser with 100%. It's the same as when you use the flash button in cuelux with a running cue and fader @ 0%.
But you would use the Flash Button as go button & Flash button at same time. So it will do what it should do... it will flashes the Cuelist. And it will also start it. Because when it isn't started you can't flash. So normaly everyone who use a flash button want that something flashes. I think there is no confusing.

Could you please expand on this issue? How long of a delay? What are you computer's specs? We are unaware of any issues in this area, if there are any I would like to address them asap.
I'm sorry.There is no issue in the moment. That is only a wish. When you programm the expanded flash function, than it should be instand.

I have tried but I cannot reproduce this problem. Did the problem occur in v1.00.9 ?
Yes have the bug in v1.00.9. But i have programmed the cues with an older version. Perhaps that could be the problem. I have only programmed a chaser to a cue with for example 12 steps. I put the chaser act to tha half beat. Than i put the bpm to 120. The cue is running and steps throug with the beat. Than i press break. It stopps. But after i press break agagain... wait 5 seconds... no i press break again. and my cue starts stepping fast... and than loged into the normal beat. You could see that very nice with LED pars... they are so fast. it's like a stobe function.

Actually we do. We do use Cuelux ourselves on gigs. Jeroen does more gigs than me, but I use it a lot on trade shows. In the office we substitute fixtures for a visualizer. So we do use the software ourselves, however, not on a daily basis. At the end of the day, we are developers and you guys are the operators who spend more time using the software. That's why I am very thankful for your feedback. Although we try, we probabily won't come up with all the great ideas for improving the software ourselves, nor will we find all the bugs. So your help very much appreciated.
Thanks for the Info. I only use it on the weekends. But in the moment only for small gigs where it isn't so importing when the lights fail. A visualizer is nice... but i think it's not the same as with real dmx output. You don't know if its the visualiser that had display problems or if it's the cuelux software. When you need a video of the Break issue, i will try to make one.

December 04, 2009, 12:00:59 AM
Reply #14

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
This is really a great topic :)

I get Erics point, but also Maartens..

There are a lot things that would make Cuelux more (cue)luxury, but that also effects the big concept of Cuelux: easyness and a 'transparent' program (everyone can control Cuelux without much experience)

I think I'm one of the first users of Cuelux and have seen a lot of improvements!

I'm curious what's going to happen in the (near) future..  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk