Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: Cuelux & MIDI from sequencer  (Read 35164 times)

November 19, 2009, 02:42:15 PM
Read 35164 times

bourby

Well ..

I have 8 faders on 8 banks

and 10 cue buttons at the top on 8 banks ..

I want to be able to trigger each of these via midi, not always by a controller - just by a midi sequencer.

At the moment, all playback faders (the only thing I can access by my BCF2000) are mirrored. Meaning the midi implementation is 8 faders on the visible screen. I'd prefer it to work along the lines of my preset 1 accesses Bank1 of the 8 faders and if I change the bank on the software - I'm still treating Bank1 by the controller. So basically I'll have an individual midi in out CC for EACH button and fader on everything.

Then I can use the MIDI out on the software to record any buttons pushes I do in the software. Full In/Out midi.

Any chance you would make a MidiMap that has ALL data in it and the Cue Buttons are all separate ..

I would praise this software.

I just worked out today that the BFC2000 has a Tempo Controll button, that's great .. I can record 2 bars of tempo into the Sequencer and then the tempo is queued for my whole track .. excellent.!!

We Midi Controll out Mixer Live, FX and some program changes on Guitar/Bass Effects .. Plus electric percussion patches ..

We're keen on moving to Cuelux away from our external control desk .. Midi just needs to be more of a whole look rather then a "what you see on screen" emulation ..

Do I explain this clear enough?.

Thanks,
Brett.

November 19, 2009, 04:02:34 PM
Reply #1

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
We could make a MIDI-mapping for you that gives 64 "GO" notes, 64 "RELEASE" notes and 64 CCs for "Level" of the playbacks. Then you would have full MIDI control over the 64 fader-playbacks (8 playbacks x 8 banks) including intensity control per playback, GO (start the cuelist or go to next cue) and release (stop cuelist).

Would that help?
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

November 19, 2009, 04:17:18 PM
Reply #2

bourby

Sounds good .. could there also be 80 for the "go" buttons? ..

Plus not forgetting the tempo/blinders/fog/strobe buttons.

Hope i'm not asking too much :)

But if this could be implemented so that these output to midi out as well .. thanks I could record to sequencer, jumble and copy the parts and playback flawlessly ..

It would make for some powerful software.

November 19, 2009, 04:24:19 PM
Reply #3

Jeroen van der Velden

Sounds good .. could there also be 80 for the "go" buttons? ..
Need to be on another MIDI-channel then, as there are only 128 MIDI-notes per channel ::)

But if this could be implemented so that these output to midi out as well .. thanks I could record to sequencer, jumble and copy the parts and playback flawlessly ..
I'll have a look at what we can do. Please let me come back on this ASAP.
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

November 19, 2009, 04:35:01 PM
Reply #4

bourby

I'd be happy for it to be over any of the 16 midi channels as I don't have restrictions on my device, it has 8 midi universes ..

But it would depend on the ability of the software I guess ..

If you can pull this off .. i'll be a happy man ..

Sure this would be a great selling point too ..

November 22, 2009, 02:38:32 AM
Reply #5

bourby

Trying not to sound too pushy ..

Any advance on this yet? ..

Got a show coming up shortly and would like to implement this into the existing midi sequences.

November 24, 2009, 07:30:04 PM
Reply #6

bourby

Any update please?.

Brett.

November 25, 2009, 11:43:26 AM
Reply #7

Jeroen van der Velden

Hi Brett,

Sorry to keep you waiting. I've added the Generic.xml file to this post, it contains a "Generic MIDI" map. This is just a start - we need to add/change some MIDI implementations in Cuelux. Add it to your My Documents/Visual Productions/Cuelux/Midimaps/Factory folder in Windows, or to the Visual Productions/Cuelux/Midimaps/Factory folder in your user-folder on Mac .

(Note 0 = C-1)

Channel 0:
note on 0 - playback fader 1 GO
note on 1 - playback fader 1 RELEASE
note on 46 - playback fader 24 GO
note on 47  - playback fader 24 RELEASE

cc 0  - playback fader 1 INTENSITY
cc 23 - playback fader 1 INTENSITY

Channel 1:
note on 0 - playback button 1 GO
note on 1 - playback button 1 RELEASE
note on 18 - playback button 10 GO
note on 19 - playback fader 10 RELEASE

Please note:
- Currently, the MIDI triggered playbacks count relative to the displayed bank in Cuelux. So, make sure when running the show you are in bank 1 for both the buttons and faders. This will be changed in a future release of Cuelux.
- In the current version of Cuelux, there are 10 playbackbuttons per bank. This will change to 8 per bank in the next version.

Let's see if this is the way to go!

Regards,

Jeroen
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

November 25, 2009, 11:47:08 AM
Reply #8

bourby

Thanks mate ..

We're slightly there . i'll give this s try soon ..

but it's a bit disappointing if I can't trigger the other banks not on screen, it's then just an 8/18 channel unit

Why do you need to go from 10 to 8 buttons at the top? .. if anything .. go more.!!

November 25, 2009, 11:56:06 AM
Reply #9

bourby

Is an option to assign a midi channel per bank? ..

ie - have a common CH1 that accesses bank 1 and all the tempo buttons and such ..

Then the other banks, have them listen on appropriate channels .. ie - Bank 2 Midi CH2 and such ..

Stopping any chance of limitations ..

Thanks maybe you could up the banks from 8-16 :)

November 25, 2009, 11:58:05 AM
Reply #10

Jeroen van der Velden

Hi Brett,

I'll have a think about the MIDI channels per bank.

Please note that each playbackfader can hold a cuelist which can hold almost ( ::)) unlimited cues. You don't need to create a new cuelist on a new fader for every scene/cue you make.
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

November 25, 2009, 12:01:25 PM
Reply #11

bourby

I get that ..

But our setup is basically heaps of scenes we need to trigger ..

It's for a coverband with quite a few fixtures .. so we'll have 2-3 banks of just varying can chases .. that's before we get into our movers and LED colour changes ..

I get that's i'm using the unit to it's extreme .. but this will make the product even more awsome.!

November 25, 2009, 12:02:26 PM
Reply #12

Jeroen van der Velden

but it's a bit disappointing if I can't trigger the other banks not on screen, it's then just an 8/18 channel unit
You can trigger all first 24 playback faders in the current MIDI map. Just make sure you're at bank 1, then you can control fader 1-24. The rest of the faders/buttons will be added when they have been implemented in Cuelux.
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

November 25, 2009, 12:06:34 PM
Reply #13

bourby

What do u mean by 1-24? .. as I only have 8 per bank ..

Do you mean

Bank1 - Fader 1-8
Bank2 - Fader 1-8
Bank3 - Fader 1-8

November 25, 2009, 12:13:15 PM
Reply #14

Jeroen van der Velden

What do u mean by 1-24? .. as I only have 8 per bank ..
I'm sorry, I see what you mean.

1-8: Bank 1
9-16: Bank 2
17-24: Bank 3

;)
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk