Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: RGB LED dimmer per color  (Read 9176 times)

December 04, 2009, 04:13:13 PM
Read 9176 times

JoSpilger

Hi,

is it possible to set up a fixture for LED PARs with 3 "dimmer" channels (one per color)?

Background: I would like to have the ability to have the cue faders work on the three color channels, because on "normal" fixtures the color settings of different cues are present even if the cue fader is down.

Regards, Jo

December 05, 2009, 03:04:09 PM
Reply #1

Henker

• Henk Veenker
Hi,

is it possible to set up a fixture for LED PARs with 3 "dimmer" channels (one per color)?

Background: I would like to have the ability to have the cue faders work on the three color channels, because on "normal" fixtures the color settings of different cues are present even if the cue fader is down.

Regards, Jo

Did you try for instance fixture CLS - Miriam ? With that fixture you have access to beam and all three colours seperately.
Good luck, Henker
Henk Veenker
Former technical director
Schouwburg Kunstmin, Dordrecht (NL)

December 07, 2009, 04:19:53 AM
Reply #2

bourby

I tried that .. as I also have the same problem ..

I have 64LEDs .. 4 CH

Ch1 - Control
CH2 - Red
CH3 - Green
CH4 - Blue

The CLS Miriam only has 3 CH (verified by the DMX Output monitor)

This is the issues I find (which I think is the same one the original poster has) ..

I Setup an LED Can on DMX1 as a Fixture ..

CH1 (Control) - I set on a fader ..

The 3 colours I setup on the next 3 faders ..

I bring up the control fader to 100% (DMX 255) and I see nothing - that's fine ..

I click in the Fader2 with the fader down (ready to add that light into the mix) .. the colour flashs up instantly. This is verified on the DMX output as DMX255 on CH1,2 or 3 ..

The fader does nothing ..

Can we apply that fader to the colour set and not the Control/Dimmer CH1 only? .. or is there a fixture that does do this ..

Brett.

December 07, 2009, 09:01:29 AM
Reply #3

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
A playback fader is set to dimmer if there is a dimmer value recorded in that cuelist. If you want to control colourmix using the fader, just record the dimmer attribute on another cuelist.

That's how you can create good live shows: Splitting attributes in seperate cuelists.

I normally start programming a show by recording some dimmer cuelists for the different groups of fixtures (MH spot, MH wash, LED). Then I start creating colour cuelists, colour chases and positions. Finally some shutter-chases and shapes.
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

December 07, 2009, 10:09:50 AM
Reply #4

bourby

fader is on another cuelist ..

I can fade but not on a per colour basis .. the colour faders just switch colour on/off ignoring the fader on the cuelist ..

December 07, 2009, 11:32:09 AM
Reply #5

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
hi Brett,

In the options, is your Colourmix set to HTP or LTP? When set to HTP you can mix R G B cues. When set to LTP only one colour cue will be active at the moment.

In LTP, when a cuelist lost its priority to another cuelist, pressing 'Go' will give him priority again. Moving its fader will not change its priority.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

December 07, 2009, 11:13:49 PM
Reply #6

JoSpilger

In my setup colormix is set to HTP and in deed the colors of two cues are mixed (that is the problem I'm running in).

Example:

Cue 1 with halt condition on fader1 and color set to red by the color fader of the fixture.
Cue 2 with halt condition on fader2 and color set to green by the color fader of the fixture.

Both cues started (yellow)

If I put one of the cue faders from 0 to x% I get yellow light instead of the mentioned color (red or green).

The simple thing I want to have is to get red light from 0 to 100% on fader 1 and green on fader 2.
And there is my idea of having the dimmer value working on the color values...

That is one of the things I'm missing on cuelux: programing scenes

December 08, 2009, 12:06:30 AM
Reply #7

bourby

I don't get colourmix

if I patch it .. nothing does anything ..

the DMX monitor show 3 DMX channels at 255 .. anything I do to the BEAM, SHUTTER or COLOURS doesn't alter the output on the DMX Monitor ..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:23:39 AM by Jeroen van der Velden »

December 08, 2009, 12:16:10 AM
Reply #8

bourby

I'm not near any cans, so I can't test it ..

But I found the Visual Productions "Canvix Master" seems to work according to the DMX Output ..

I can fade all colours individually .. I was using an Amercian DJ LED Can .. that just shoots straight to 255 without fading ..

December 08, 2009, 09:23:49 AM
Reply #9

Jeroen van der Velden

I don't get colourmix

if I patch it .. nothing does anything ..

the DMX monitor show 3 DMX channels at 255 .. anything I do to the BEAM, SHUTTER or COLOURS doesn't alter the output on the DMX Monitor ..
I've just patched "1x RGB" from Generic and it works just as it should. What fixture do you mean?
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

December 08, 2009, 09:25:53 AM
Reply #10

bourby

GENERIC-> CYM Colour Mixer

or

GENERIC-> CMY Colour Mixer

December 08, 2009, 09:28:08 AM
Reply #11

Jeroen van der Velden

GENERIC-> CYM Colour Mixer

or

GENERIC-> CMY Colour Mixer
CMY is exactly the opposit of RGB. That means, RGB at 0 (or dimmer at 0) will output 255, dimmer + RGB at full will output 0.

Just patch the "RGB 1x", set the dimmer in the BEAM page to full and use the RGB faders on the COLOR page to choose a color.
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

December 08, 2009, 09:30:39 AM
Reply #12

bourby

No good ..

Like I said .. my LED's are 4 Channel .. this still only uses 3 ..

The other fixture I mentioned works ok with 4 channel LED ..

December 08, 2009, 09:42:09 AM
Reply #13

Jeroen van der Velden

That's just a matter of requesting the personality file including the correct control channel. If you give me details of the control channel, the name of the fixture and the manufacturer, I'll be able to add it to the library.

RGB manual control via 3 faders works just fine here with any LED-fixture:

- Select fixture, dimmer to 100%, RECORD to playback 1
- Clear programmer (click CLEAR twice to make sure it's empty)
- COLOUR page > RED to 100%. Record to playback 2. Red back to 0%.
- COLOUR page > GREEN to 100%. Record to playback 3. green back to 0%.
- COLOUR page > BLUE to 100%. Record to playback 4.
CLEAR programmer.

Start playback 1, 2, 3 and 4. Use fader 1 for dimmer control, use fader 2 for RED, fader 3 for GREEN and fader 4 for BLUE.

Works like it should: Colours mix in realtime (HTP) controllable by the faders..
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

December 08, 2009, 09:49:51 AM
Reply #14

bourby

Sorry .. but I disagree ..

If I add the RGB Fixture .. it only send out 3 DMX Channels (this is confirmed by your own DMX monitor) ..

I need 4 ..

I have

-Control
-Red
-Green
-Blue

Your explanation still doesn't send my control channel up ..

and the RGB fixture you mention sends to

-RED (Control)
-GREEN (RED)
-BLUE (GREEN)

The fixture Visual Productions>Canvix Master - works fine for my LEDS..

It outputs over 4 Channels as I require ..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk