Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: CueLux - BCF2000 Small Tutorial and questions  (Read 111962 times)

December 27, 2009, 04:00:15 PM
Read 111962 times

popy

Hallo Guys.

After playing around with the BCF2000 and Cuelux here is a small tutorial which could be very helpfull for newbies (like me  :)

First Download MidiOX 7.0 from here: http://www.midiox.com/
Install it and launch it, Cuelux should not  run!!!

Configure MidiOX:
  • Config your Midi Interface. Go to Menu "Options\MidiDevices" and select your BCF2000 on the right (out deviced) an left side (in devices).
  • Press ok, and turn any fader, encoder, button on the bcf. You should see hex data in the midi OX main window. If this is ok, follow the next steps. If not, check your device manager if you could see the bcf2000.

Dump your Current BCF2000 Config (Complete SysEX Dump):

• Go to View\SysEx
  • There you could choose SysEx\Recieve Manual Dump...
  • Select a higher Preset on BCF2000 (with preset Buttons). In my situation it works on preset 8 or higher. Ill think one led on the encoder buttons should be on.
  • Than you switch your BCF2000 in Global Setup Mode
  • To enter Global Setup Mode hold "Edit" Button and push the "Store" Button. Release all Buttons, in the display you can read "GS". After that you turn Push-Encoder 6 right and choose "all".
  • Press encoder 6. The BCF2000 starts sending the Presets (it shows an animation in the display).
  • After receiving the SysEx File in Midi-Ox you could Save the Data when you click right on the Datafield (Save As) in Midi-Ox.

Send/Store SysEX Dump:

• Exit the GS Mode with the Exit Button or restart your bcf2000
  • Select the preset you want to overwrite
  • Select in MidiOX View/SysEX
  • Select "Send Sysex File" in first Menu and select the file you want to send (for cuelux preset the attached sysex dump)
  • MidiOX sends the file and the BCD shows an animation on the display

If it is a complete SysEX Dump, the bcf stores all the data automaticlly
If you just send one preset (like the cuelux sysex dump) you must store the received data to one preset.

• To do so, just press the store button once (led flashes), select the preset you want to overwrite with the preset buttons, press
    store again to overwrite the selected preset with the received data.

You are done configuring your bcf2000. Reset it once!

Configuring BCF2000 in Cuelux:

• Close MidiOX
  • Launch Cuelux and go to "Options/Midi"
  • Select BCF2000 in the "Input Device" list and also in the "Output Device" list. As map you must select "Behringer BCF2000".

Now you are ready. Restart Cuelux, select the correct preset on your BCF2000 (where you have sored the sysex dump) and have fun.

If you want to create your own Midi Map copy the file "behringer.xml" from "C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Visual Productions\Cuelux\Midimaps\Factory" to "C:\Users\pOpY\Documents\Visual Productions\Cuelux\Midimaps\User" and edit it with notepad.

Example: You want to replace the fog button with blinder function. Search in the file for "Global Fog" and replace it with "Global Blinder". You are done :-)

Here are some example functions:

Fog, Blinder or Strobe:

<task type="Global Fog" feature="Play State" function ="Control">
                            <argument type="Play State">Flash</argument>

<task type="Global Blinder" feature="Play State" function ="Control">

<task type="Global Strobe" feature="Play State" function ="Control">

Release:

<action>
               <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 1 - Message 11 - Index 115</trigger>
                     <tasks>
                             <task type="Special" feature="Release" function ="Control"/>
                      </tasks>
         </action>

Blackout:

<action>
                <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Down">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 31</trigger>
                      <tasks>
                              <task type="Special" feature="Blackout" function ="Toggle"/>
                      </tasks>
         </action>

<action>
                          <trigger type="Unsigned" specifier="Change">Blackout</trigger>
                          <tasks>
                              <task type="Midi" function ="Control">
                                  <argument type="Midi Address">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 72</argument>
                              </task>
                          </tasks>
            </action>

Grandmaster:

<action>
                <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 88</trigger>
                        <tasks>
                             <task type="Special" feature="Grand Master" function ="Control"/>
                      </tasks>
         </action>

<action>
                          <trigger type="Unsigned" specifier="Change">Grand Master</trigger>
                          <tasks>
                                  <argument type="Midi Address">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 88</argument>
                              </task>
                          </tasks>
            </action>

You must correct the Message and Index Value to the button you want. You can read this values with midi-OX. Just Press the button or move the silder.

Save the file, restart cuelux and select the new Midimap in "Options/Midi". All User Maps beginns with "[USER]" so select "[USER] Behringer...".

Ill hopes this helps you.

@Support: I have some questions regarding the BCF2000:

• XML Code for "Release"
  • XML Code for "Blackout", ii have tried <task type="Special" feature="Blackout" function ="Toggle"/> with no success!
  • How could i map a fader of the BCF2000 to the master intensity fader in cuelux (under the blackout button)
  • Is it possible to map a push encoder to set the speed of the fixtures in a cue, NOT the cue speed itself. Example: i want to set the
    flash rate of some fixtures.
You can download the bcf2000 sysex preset dump in the 4th post!

cu
pOpY

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:30:42 PM by popy »

December 28, 2009, 11:12:50 AM
Reply #1

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
First of all: Very nicely done this tutorial! Thank you.

Example for 'Release' from tascam.xml:

<action>
      <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 1 - Message 11 - Index 115</trigger>
            <tasks>
                    <task type="Special" feature="Release" function ="Control"/>
             </tasks>
</action>

Example for 'Blackout' and 'Grandmaster' from korg.xml:

<action>
       <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Down">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 31</trigger>
             <tasks>
             </tasks>
</action>

<action>
       <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Change">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 13</trigger>
               <tasks>
                    <task type="Special" feature="Grand Master" function ="Control"/>
             </tasks>
</action>

You can't assign midi controls directly to fixture attributes, it needs to go through a playback.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

December 28, 2009, 11:24:33 AM
Reply #2

popy

Hello Maarten.

No Problem  :) Could set it as sticky And attach the the SysEX Dump? That would be very nice.

I will try out the xml code today or tomorrow and post my results.

Best Regards
Tobias

December 28, 2009, 11:47:19 AM
Reply #3

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:10:44 AM by Bart van Wunnik »
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

December 29, 2009, 12:10:17 AM
Reply #4

popy

Thank you Maarten.

The XML Code from your post above works  ;D

But now i have the next question. I have mapped the fader 8 of the BCF as Grand Master. How can i map the Grand Master of Cuelux (if i move the fader in cuelux) that the fader 8 of the BCF moves?

I have try`d it with the following code:

<action>
                    <trigger type="Special" specifier="Change">Grand Master</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
      </action>

But it doesnt work.

Is it also possible to show the Blackout Status on the button i have mapped blackout function.

Thank you
Best Regards
Tobias
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:14:51 AM by popy »

December 31, 2009, 11:07:15 AM
Reply #5

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
Please try:

<action>
                    <trigger type="Unsigned" specifier="Change">Grand Master</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
      </action>

<action>
                    <trigger type="Unsigned" specifier="Change">Blackout</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                            <argument type="Midi Address">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 72</argument>
                        </task>
                    </tasks>
      </action>

Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

December 31, 2009, 11:08:32 AM
Reply #6

popy

Thanks, i will try it tonight  :)

I must say THANK for this great support!!!!!!!!

Best Regards and Happy new year to all
Tobias

January 01, 2010, 03:34:31 PM
Reply #7

popy

Hello Maarten.

The Grandmaster now works.

The Blackout in theory  :) if i press the blackout button in cuelux (with mouse) the led works correctly. But if i press the button on the bcf it doesnt work correctly. ill think the bcf2000 does change the state its self, if i press it. This conflicts with the state that cuelux sends.

What can i do that it works correctly?

Best Regards
Tobias

January 08, 2010, 03:00:18 PM
Reply #8

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
Sorry to have kept you waiting; it required some testing...

please use:

<action>
                    <trigger type="Midi" specifier="Up">Channel 0 - Message 11 - Index 72</trigger>
                    <tasks>
                    </tasks>
      </action>

It now triggers on the release of the behringer's button, so it will receive its LED status from Cuelux after it had been set internally by the BCF.

One catch: the 'Up' trigger wasn't implemented yet in v1.00.9. I have just programmed it and it will be available in the next release.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

January 09, 2010, 03:28:03 PM
Reply #9

popy

Hello Maarten.

Thank you :-) now i have to wait for the new release :-)

Do you have som improvements regarding the Midi Problems?

Best Regards Tobias

January 22, 2010, 05:34:32 PM
Reply #10

Pablo K.

Hey Marteen,

I have a question. I'm using Cuelux in Mac OS Leopard and it's working great.
At first: Thank you for this tutorial. But I can't find a version of it for Mac.

Is there any Tool or Midi Support for Macs?

Best,
Pablo

January 23, 2010, 10:06:34 AM
Reply #11

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
Good question. I am using 'Midi Monitor' (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor) as testing tool on Mac. But I don't think it can dump sysex.
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

January 23, 2010, 10:31:32 AM
Reply #12

Jeroen van der Velden

• http://www.visualproductions.nl
Jeroen van der Velden
Moving light operator

January 25, 2010, 12:23:44 PM
Reply #13

Pablo K.

Allright, thanks. So, just for understanding:

I have to download at first the .syx File, I dump it into my SysEx Librarian and then I upload the Informations to my BCF?
Cause that doesn't work. I am such a noobie in this things :-)

Thank 4 help!

January 28, 2010, 02:40:26 PM
Reply #14

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
I have tested sysex file with the Sysex Librarian tool on the mac. Everything seemed to go okay, but the unit was not sending out any midi, it was responding to the feedback from Cuelux.

So I have recorded a new dump file using the Sysex librarian and tested again. Now the BCF works fine with the sysex dump.

Please find the sysex dump attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk