Visual Productions forum

Author Topic: iPad and CueLux  (Read 9483 times)

February 27, 2010, 12:47:13 AM
Read 9483 times

KnowSlumber

Seems like iPad and CueLux were Made For Each Other.

I can imagine something like the Remote Control but with faders, go buttons, etc?

Any plans?

February 27, 2010, 10:43:01 PM
Reply #1

RW

• Andy Cobben .nl
Hmm.. As far as I know, this is not on the to-do list.
And to be honest, I don't think it will be.. Simply because there are a lot of other things to do (that also have some more priority).

So, I'm sorry  :-X

March 01, 2010, 08:37:32 AM
Reply #2

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
    • www.visualproductions.nl
Actually I have reserved an iPad, so as soon as it's available I'll start playing with it... let's see how we can use it...  :)

As Rick indicates... it's difficult to give a timeframe....
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

March 04, 2010, 12:29:42 AM
Reply #3

KnowSlumber

Cool. Looking forward to getting your take on it.

Should be an interesting toy. I think it can run TouchOSC, so it should be possible to use it as a customizable MIDI controller via OSCulator. Which, would be pretty badass to have a wireless multitouch controller.

And of course, the Cuelux remote control should run on it from the get-go.

Seems like true multiouch tablet computing is just around the corner.
Gotta give you guy major credit for making it so everything in Cuelux can be run from a touchscreen.

That's some serious forward thinking.

June 07, 2010, 01:55:22 AM
Reply #4

pbel

• Light Operator
    • Exa Light + Sound GmbH
Hi

Maybe a stupid idea: but has anybody tried to start on the iPAD a VNC client and connect to a Mac running Cuelux? I think this should do it for now?

Regards
Petr
---
cuelux on mac os x 10.6 and windows 7 with bfc 2000. mac 500, mx 10, minimac profile, led flood

June 07, 2010, 09:14:49 AM
Reply #5

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
I haven't tried it, but it sounds like fine idea to me. Are there VNC clients available for the ipad?
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

June 07, 2010, 10:35:20 AM
Reply #6

pbel

• Light Operator
    • Exa Light + Sound GmbH
I haven't tried it, but it sounds like fine idea to me. Are there VNC clients available for the ipad?

sure. Mocha VNC Lite is free and should do it for a test and is available in the iTunes Store. But honestly on the iPhone I was only able to see the mouse pointer moving. Touching the buttons was an issue (only in cuelux). But I don't have the newest version yet.

Maybe easier to set up for a test if you never used VNC could be Team Viewer (also available in iTunes - the free version). It works on a iPhone but the experience is not really a good one as I have a lot of scrolling :) And it is weird as I have to first slide the mouse pointer to the corect position before being able to "left click"

If the look on the iPad is good I will be happy to test other VNC clients to find one with a good control (i.e. which allows dragging of the sliders too)

UPDATE: I have tested additionally the following apps as mocha VNC isn't really a help:

VNC Viewer: everything does work including moving the faders (tap twice and hold the second tap). But again it is weird as the mouse tap doesn't happen where you tap but where the mouse pointer is. The mouspointer is moved by sliding the finger on the iPhone like it is a touchpad

My new favorite: Connect Desktop: Mouse click happens where I click. Sliding the faders works by double click and holding the second click down. But sometimes the single clicks do work - sometimes not. Maybe somebody with an iPad can test this one if he has the same issues (I have only the phone).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:08:28 PM by pbel »
---
cuelux on mac os x 10.6 and windows 7 with bfc 2000. mac 500, mx 10, minimac profile, led flood

June 11, 2010, 01:03:49 AM
Reply #7

KnowSlumber

I run cuelux via VNC regularly now, and have tried it on the iPad. I run RemoteDesktop as the client.

It works for me, though the screen feedback is a little laggy.

Another way that we've controlled Cuelux, is via TouchOSC/OSCulator. Really really awesome.

I've been building a TouchOSC interface for programming Cuelux recently.

Happy to post it when it's complete.

June 13, 2010, 06:59:33 PM
Reply #8

pbel

• Light Operator
    • Exa Light + Sound GmbH
hi knowslumber: so you run cuelux on a pc I guess? I'm using mainly a Mac.

I tried now iTap VNC which runs pretty fine.

But even better (as much as I can judge on the iPhone display) is iDisplay: it runs only on mac (and pc xp but not vista or 7). you install a software on the pc and a app on iPad or iPhone. It then acts like a secondary screen. So you can run Cuelux on the iPad and still see other software on your mainscreen. Attention: turn of screen monitoring before installing the software on the notebook (or your display will get the same resolution as your iPhone as soon as you connect :) ).

With all the applications I got the impression that Cuelux has a bug how it threats mouseclicks (at least on a mac): after sliding the mouse to a new position and then clicking works fine. Clicking directly to a certain position doesn't work. As this is true for several VNC softwares and the iDisplay application which uses a different way to connect.

Regards
Petr
---

June 14, 2010, 03:21:30 PM
Reply #9

Maarten Engels

• Administrator
With all the applications I got the impression that Cuelux has a bug how it threats mouseclicks (at least on a mac): after sliding the mouse to a new position and then clicking works fine. Clicking directly to a certain position doesn't work. As this is true for several VNC softwares and the iDisplay application which uses a different way to connect.

Is this only in the position control? Or also with the faders? (If only position control then please have a look at http://www.visualproductions.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1093.0)
Maarten Engels
Visual Productions BV

June 14, 2010, 11:27:07 PM
Reply #10

pbel

• Light Operator
    • Exa Light + Sound GmbH
Hi Maarten

I see I wasn't clear enought. With position I mean the position of the mouse pointer on the screen. Nothing to do with the position setting for a moving light I'm controling:

i.e. if I first move the mouse pointer by draging it around and then click on a button it works

if I only click at a certain spots by clicking this position on the iPhone the mouse pointer jumps there but the click happens where the mouse pointer was positioned before the last click.

I first tought that is a problem of VNC. but it looks like this works in other applications (like the finder) well and tried different VNC clients and as well other protocols: always the same result. for me it looks like the click is evaluated before the mouse pointer movement induced by the click.

But I guess that is nothing too important for the time being.

cheers
Petr
---

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk